MTB to tourer conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Looking to convert a 2nd hand MTB into a tourer (rockhopper pro). This might not turn out to be the easiest or most cost efficient idea, but I wanted to try my hand at 'a project' (or bodgeject!).

After riding the bike around a fair bit can see there's a few issues with this. The gearing is very low for the road, the cranks are much larger than what I'm used to, and riding position feels very foward and stretched-out.

Re: the gears and cranks. Best solution is simply to buy a new chainset with bigger chainrings? Any decent mid-range recommendations?

Re: the riding position. The seatpost slopes back an inch or 2. I was thinking to replace it with a straight one and also replace the stem with a shorter, more vertical one. Seems that would bring the bars back an inch and push them up an inch higher. No sure what else can be done, butterfly bars?

just jim

You could have a read of this conversion job, out of interest. Sorry I don't have specific answers!

I had the same idea, but quickly realised that the wheelbase was too short to allow for carrying loaded front and rear panniers. The bike now does service as the commuter.

Top Bottom