Mtb trends 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Inspired by a (boring) video I saw rexentre on YouTube and thought I'd make it more interesting.

1. Experimenting with 30 inch wheels.
2. 850mm handlebars.
3. ....Extendable to 1 metre .
4. 300mm (also know as 30cm or 1 foot) suspension forks.
5. Steeper seat tube angle (this one is actually real).
6. Re-introduction of larger front wheel !30 inch front, 20 inch rear, some bs about front end grip)
7. Single speed cassette, but with triple chainrings (some bs about low maintenance).
8. Top 67 mountain bikes as advertised by your favourite sponsorship magazine.
9. 5mm reduced fork trail (this is real and apparently makes a huge difference though I sniff more brown stuff).
10. I leave the rest to you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
None of the above.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The MTB industry is really losing the plot, IMHO. They are changing things just for the sake of change. What most riders actually use a MTB for is amply served by a 26" rigid with 22-23" wide bars. My MTB trend for 2019 is going to be comparing a rebuilt Reynolds 500 Dawes with my 501 framed Raleigh and gas pipe Apollo.

screenman

Legendary Member
It’s always interesting once you get past the marketing bs and change for the sake of change what is actually useful. My 1996 orange hard tail is fine going up and down mountains but my camber is faster, more comfortable and handles better.

The main thing is get out there and ride :bicycle:

Go back to 1996 and people would have been writing the same.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What we are now seeing is an extreme form of niche segmentaton, and many of the current style of MTB is not optimal for what the typical MTB owner will ever use it for. Some of it is getting silly, I mean who needs handlebars that are so wide you can't walk through your front door with the bike? They're more extreme than the cowhorn bars teenage kids used to fit on their DIY-built Tracker bikes in the 70's and 80's!

Drago

Legendary Member
Manufacturers desperately trying to identify or create the next trend so they can get ahead of the curve and cash in. Of course, very few innovations prove to be genuinely beneficial, so they try pretty much anything in the hope that something will take. Typewriters and monkeys.

screenman

Legendary Member
What we are now seeing is an extreme form of niche segmentaton, and many of the current style of MTB is not optimal for what the typical MTB owner will ever use it for. Some of it is getting silly, I mean who needs handlebars that are so wide you can't walk through your front door with the bike? They're more extreme than the cowhorn bars teenage kids used to fit on their DIY-built Tracker bikes in the 70's and 80's!

The front door on the building I keep my bikes in is 16ft wide and goes up at the press of a button. My front door is also wide enough for the bars, not that I would ever bring a bike into the house. Maybe they are a niche bike for a niche market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom