Mtb trends 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a big geezer, and the points of my shoulders are only 550mm apart (I'm very sad and just measured this. Give another 20mm each side to allow comfortable elbow clearance, and that's 590mm. Any more than that and may hands would start to splay apart and biomechanically speaking I'd become less efficient. If a broad 6'4" geezer doesn't measure up to 800mm bars, then Threevok must be Robert Pershing Wadlow!

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I'm a big geezer, and the points of my shoulders are only 550mm apart (I'm very sad and just measured this. Give another 20mm each side to allow comfortable elbow clearance, and that's 590mm. Any more than that and may hands would start to splay apart and biomechanically speaking I'd become less efficient. If a broad 6'4" geezer doesn't measure up to 800mm bars, then Threevok must be Robert Pershing Wadlow!

My shoulders are 600mm + :tongue:

I am 6ft 2in but my arms are quite long.

Running a 50mm stem too on the SS

I like a bit of bend in the elbow when it comes to MTB - especially through the gnarlier stuff. I like to get a bit closer to the front end too - especially on climbs

The bars on the Inbred are cut down to 760mm though, as I tend to do a lot more commuting and long distance on this bike

D

Deleted member 26715

I fear we're moving away from the future by being ensconce in the past, but with 500mm shoulders, are you both saying I should have bars wider than 600mm, going out now to brave the torrential rain, but I'm sure mine are far wider than that. I wonder if that is what is causing my instability at low speeds?

Edit:- Used Google instead of getting wet, apparently currently they are 700mm, so would it help to loose 100mm either by hacksaw or new bars?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have very broad shoulders despite wearing medium large clothing.
I think its due to carrying every fecker all my working life:laugh:

I run 720mm with a 50 mm stem on most mtb bikes though i like 760 with a 35mm stem.
My boardman commuting bike is custom cut to 640mm

I think I found the next thing in mtbing...

guillaume-bout-otb-carbone-or-persp-avant-1170x658.jpg

...bars aren't wide enough though.

link to 3d artists site .... https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOJ4W1

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I fear we're moving away from the future by being ensconce in the past, but with 500mm shoulders, are you both saying I should have bars wider than 600mm, going out now to brave the torrential rain, but I'm sure mine are far wider than that. I wonder if that is what is causing my instability at low speeds?

Edit:- Used Google instead of getting wet, apparently currently they are 700mm, so would it help to loose 100mm either by hacksaw or new bars?

Surely that is the point of bikes being supplied with wide bars, easier to cut a bit off to suit rather than try and glue a bit on.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think I found the next thing in mtbing...

View attachment 434198

...bars aren't wide enough though.

link to 3d artists site .... https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOJ4W1

That is an awesome toy, love to have ride on it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Surely that is the point of bikes being supplied with wide bars, easier to cut a bit off to suit rather than try and glue a bit on.
TBH I've never considered it, I have rode with what came with the bike, I did sort of think they were a bit wide, especially after using the son's Kona when mine was in for warranty work. Bit loath to cut them, might look around for a narrow set/pair. Pair sounds correct but as there is only one it can't be?

screenman

Legendary Member
TBH I've never considered it, I have rode with what came with the bike, I did sort of think they were a bit wide, especially after using the son's Kona when mine was in for warranty work. Bit loath to cut them, might look around for a narrow set/pair. Pair sounds correct but as there is only one it can't be?

Odd how we all think different, I always assumed cutting down was taken for granted. So easy to do, takes about 10 minutes in total.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I believe that bikes are being supplied with wide bars these days purely for fashion and no other reason. Just another fad to try to sell more product to people who already have perfectly serviceable bikes. They don't wear out fast enough, so the strategy is to hoodwink riders into believing that these various gimmicks are really essential improvements. 99% BS, 1% benefit, as always with anything involving marketing.

screenman

Legendary Member
I believe that bikes are being supplied with wide bars these days purely for fashion and no other reason. Just another fad to try to sell more product to people who already have perfectly serviceable bikes. They don't wear out fast enough, so the strategy is to hoodwink riders into believing that these various gimmicks are really essential improvements. 99% BS, 1% benefit, as always with anything involving marketing.

I disagree.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My Voodoo Bizango was supplied with 720mm wide bars and (apart from the grips) I find them really comfortable - I'm half tempted to add bar ends as wel!

Levo-Lon

Guru

You might struggle to convince anyone who actually goes fast downhill with jumps sharp twists and turns.

As said before ,enjoy living in the past John, modern mtbs are about position over the bars and front end, not pushing back over the rear wheel at full stretch..

Top Bottom