Mtb trends 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You might struggle to convince anyone who actually goes fast downhill with jumps sharp twists and turns..

You're no doubt correct about high speed descents, but let's be honest 99% of MTB's aren't actually used for anything approaching extreme terrain. The vast majority of riders who buy an MTB simply want a robust, comfortable bike that can cope with badly potholed tarmac, roadside debris, and the odd bumpy unsurfaced byway. They are not remotely interested in racing over rough ground as fast as possible. You don't need super-wide bars for utility use, just wheels that won't buckle easily when ridden over kerbs, and tyres that won't burst if you hit a flytipped housebrick or similar obstacle frequently encountered littered all over on quiet industrial estate roads and the underpass routes crossing major road junctions.

screenman

Legendary Member
John maybe people just enjoy buying new things. No pockets in shrouds and all that stuff.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
John maybe people just enjoy buying new things.

So does buying shiny new stuff actually give you more pleasure than simply using your existing old stuff? I've never seen why some people get so excited about retail therapy. To me, it's just wasted time I would rather spend doing something else.

screenman

Legendary Member
So does buying shiny new stuff actually give you more pleasure than simply using your existing old stuff? I've never seen why some people get so excited about retail therapy. To me, it's just wasted time I would rather spend doing something else.

Fine that is your way, to me it seems very odd as I enjoy a bit of retail and so does my better half.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

So all the stuff you 'acquire' is magically created second hand by special fairies at the back of the tip ?

Drago

Legendary Member

I like shiny new stuff, although I've never been too avaricious. However, the choice was retire just shy of 48, or carry on working into my old age to pay for lots of unnecessary new stuff - I chose the life of laziness.

Nevertheless, others might choose lots of new stuff and be happy to work into their 60s to pay for it, and that's cool with me if it suits them. Don't do me no harm, like.

Bodhbh

Guru
You're no doubt correct about high speed descents, but let's be honest 99% of MTB's aren't actually used for anything approaching extreme terrain. The vast majority of riders who buy an MTB simply want a robust, comfortable bike that can cope with badly potholed tarmac, roadside debris, and the odd bumpy unsurfaced byway. They are not remotely interested in racing over rough ground as fast as possible. You don't need super-wide bars for utility use, just wheels that won't buckle easily when ridden over kerbs, and tyres that won't burst if you hit a flytipped housebrick or similar obstacle frequently encountered littered all over on quiet industrial estate roads and the underpass routes crossing major road junctions.

Sounds to me a bit like terms are being mixed up. To me you are describing a general purpose utility bike, which doesn't need wide bars, fat tyres, suspension, etc. But to me, a MTB isn't that, it's a toy to ride over rough ground you have no practical need of cycling over other than the pure joy of doing so. In which case, it can be setup anyway the owner sees fit as long as they get a rise out of it.

ChrisEyles

Guru
@SkipdiverJohn I do agree with your sentiments for the most... but some of the new innovations are actually really good! For example, it half killed me to drop £70 on a dropper post for my MTB (I'd normally expect to buy a whole bike for that much on ebay), but it's added hugely to my confidence and ability on the bike, and despite the addmitted slight extravagance, I don't regret it. Ditto wider bars and shorter stem (I'm at 720mm and 80mm respectively so conservative by modern standards, but I find it a lot more capable than the old 600mm/120mm standard).

Have you had a go on a modern-ish MTB on some rougher trails? If you enjoy off-roading and haven't, I'd definitely give it a go. It'll feel really weird at first coming from a 90s set-up, but I reckon you'd enjoy it, and it'll give you an idea what all the fuss is about. I can happily clear steep downhills, drops etc on my modern-ish (2010) MTB that I would be very scared to attempt on my 90s one, which can be a lot of fun.

2019 trends..... all I ever seem to find online is "longer lower slacker" and a load of stuff about thicker wheel axles that I can't be bothered to read. Or is that all old hat now?

Drago

Legendary Member
Whereas I'm rather tall and long legged and as a trainer have proper technique, and found a dropper post to be of no benefit. One man's meat is another man's Brussels sprouts.

Top Bottom