Mtb vs road bike up steep climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
What is a mtb like going uphill on the road.

I used to mtb but only on trails so never tried it. I currently ride a road bike only.

I ask because I an going to Italy next week and mountain bikes are cheaper to buy than road bikes. Already ruled out hiring as there's no where near by and I don't want to risk flying my expenice bike over.

Anyway. Considering the biggest climb I've done over here is holme moss and even the easy climbs over there dwarf that I thought maybe the lower gearing of an mtb wouldn't be so bad. I can only just get up moss with my 36/25 road bike so.

Whaday reckon? Mtb has low gears but are they awkward/heavy/wrong geometry to climb effectively on the road?

gasinayr

Über Member
What about a Hybrid ?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
36/25 is quite a high gear for hard climbs, at least it is for me.
I have a mountain bike which is shod with road tyres so I could try it on my local climbs, and I found that climbing is easier on my road bike with 34/32 gearing.
Where the MTB suffers is weight and rolling resistance. Also the sprung fork absorbs some of the power too.
Just my own experiences.

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
Yeah possibly. Was considering buying a bike over there and either bringing it back or leaving it there ( my gf sister lives there so could leave it but we only visit every few years so a waste)

A hybrid would work just something cheap ish. Or 200 or so

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
You can ride down an Alp on a mtb..so that's one plus..

Coming down is not my concern. There's a HC cat climb 14 miles @ 7% 10 miles from where we are staying. I've no chance of getting up it it's to hot for a start but wouldn't mind a crack at it to see how far I get

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Went on a ride with my nephew last week, him on an mtb me on my road bike, on the hills it was a case of me having to stop repeatedly so he could catch me up. mountain bikes are geared for off road cycling nice low gears to tackle steep slopes at low speed etc, on the road they are just slow.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I can't imagine tyres making much difference at all up a very steep and long slog (I'd be down to 5mph or so) but gearing can.

My last MTB had a 24 small ring up front and 32 out back - I used to be able to twiddle away merrily up hills I can't even contemplate on my 34 x 30 road bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Coming down is not my concern. There's a HC cat climb 14 miles @ 7% 10 miles from where we are staying. I've no chance of getting up it it's to hot for a start but wouldn't mind a crack at it to see how far I get

You'll be surprised. Using Holme Moss as a common level (local to me) and a similar HC I did last year (also about 14 miles at about 6.5%) I'd say the following. Providing you use suitable gearing, have loads to drink and take it steady, the HC climb will be easier than Holme Moss.

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
I can't imagine tyres making much difference at all up a very steep and long slog (I'd be down to 5mph or so) but gearing can.

My last MTB had a 24 small ring up front and 32 out back - I used to be able to twiddle away merrily up hills I can't even contemplate on my 34 x 30 road bike.

That was my thinking. I top would be down to 4-5mph at that gradient. I doubt rolling resistance would be the enemy was mainly thinking weight or geometry might be a problem

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
You'll be surprised. Using Holme Moss as a common level (local to me) and a similar HC I did last year (also about 14 miles at about 6.5%) I'd say the following. Providing you use suitable gearing, have loads to drink and take it steady, the HC climb will be easier than Holme Moss.

Really? Holme moss to me is quite hard. It has me out of the saddle pretty much all the way once i hit the switchbacks. Im not a particulary fit cyclist i acerage 15mph ovet mixed terrain that said im a trier and wont get off. My lowest gear is a 36/25 mind.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the end it's about expending the energy required to raise the weight of you and the bike from the bottom of the hill to the top. How you do that doesn't matter but on a lighter, stiffer road bike without knobs on the tyres you will climb faster for the same effort.

After 21 years on mountain bikes and now 6 on road bikes, most recently on a very light stiff climbing bike, it would be the road bike for me every time. On a mountain bike you have to sit and spin but on a roadie you've a chance of attacking and going quite fast.

Top Bottom