Mud Guards.. Full or Half.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just in the process of buying a winter bike and mud guards are a must. Full would be better I think but how good are the smaller half mug guards ?
Any views on this.

Cheers

Tommy2

Über Member
Full, it's a winter bike might as well make it properly worthy of the name.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yep, full. Definitely.

Ajax Bay

Guru
how good are the smaller half mug guards ?
Choice of mudguards depends on whether you're going to have to put it in the back of a car. Fixed full mudguards almost preclude that option. However SKS do a neat mudguard (seen on another cyclist's winter bike), which allows one to 'click off' two sections of each guard, either side of a metal fixing which stays on the seatstay bridge/drilling in fork crown, and the guard stays are secured on the (front and rear) QRs. (NB As much cover as most full guards) The fitting seemed to make the best use of the clearance available. I think these were the Raceblade Long. And no reliance on mudguard eyes/braze ons.

There are other versions of this 'click' arrangement which offer various levels of 'cover'. The shorter guards are for keeping mud and water off you, not anyone following – and the short front guard really only protects your face, not your lower legs much.
If you are not riding with others, on full guards a rear flap is less important (and vice versa) and many riders do without a front one (the latter does reduce the winter detritus hitting your feet/cranks/chainrings and bottom bracket though).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have full sks chromoplastic guards and regullarilly put the bike in the car with front wheel off but the guard still on.

A bit of string tied to keep it steering straight ahead as you lift it in helps .

Top Bottom