Mud Guards.. Full or Half.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I once cut down my rear mudguard to end around the 10 o'clock position (when viewing from the right hand side of the bike) so that I could stand the bike on its end and wheel it about. I thought it would still do its job but was wrong - big skunk stripe up the back and mud in my hair.

Similarly, I've found the longer front mudguards are vastly more effective - they want to be almost scraping the ground.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Great response for all of you so thanks.. it seems full is the better choice. At least picking a bike now is made a bit easier.. I think..lol

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just been looking at the mud guards. I'm not going above 28cc tyres so would the 35 mm wide do or should I get the wider 45 mm guards.

petek

Über Member
IMG_4343.JPG
Full mudguards plus a coat guard.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it's up to them to keep a distance. If they don't want splatting they shouldn't be riding up my arris.
I recall doing a 'back of an envelope' calculation about how far from the person in front it was prudent to ride in poor conditions, from a 'water and mud in your face avoidance' PoV. My maths suggested:
Leave a distance between you (ie your front wheel) and the rider in front's rear mudguard, 5 times the distance between the bottom of their rear mudguard/flap and the road surface (or 3+ metres if no guards). The parameter was to avoid 'spatter' above (the following rider's) handlebar level.

Top Bottom