mudguard roller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi:hello:on your brompton back mudguard how freely do your little roller wheel spin? Mine are quite stiff almost soild i noticed brompton customised mudguard wheels they spin fast

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
mine has always been ok

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
We have 2 Bromptons, one for me & one for the wife, both S6L's, both less than 12 months old and not had much use, we got them purely for days out where its not practical to take our other bikes so not getting hammered as commuters every day. On mine, the rear mudguard roller spins freely but also wobbles a bit, my wife's is almost impossible to spin. Its nothing to do with the amount of lube, its just a poor design that has also been constructed poorly. Personally I think that's pretty bad quality control for such an expensive product.
I sourced a replacement with a proper bearing from Bikegang for about £5 per bike which arrived yesterday (came much quicker then I was expecting too) and they are MUCH better than the part fitted (I don't know why they cant be as good as this from the factory). I'm yet to fit them but they spin very freely and are a direct replacement for the existing part. Worth a look if the existing part is giving you problems.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Is Bikegang reliable - I quite like the look of some of the springs to replace the rear suspension block.

I have only used them the once for these parts. I ordered on 10th June and they arrived on 13th so can't complain. For what it's worth, the parts came from Newcastle so they must have some UK stock.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Someone paged me? The mudguard roller ? Hm....

<==== here it is...

I only have samples in UK, so normally items shipped from Taiwan (unless I have new spare sample at hand). Luckily Royal Mail is super reliable forwarding item from international posts, normally you can get them in less than 10 days. With EMS less than 5 days.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
[QUOTE 4324696, member: 45"]Don't some people just stick roller blade wheels on?[/QUOTE]

Roller blade wheels can only be used as the bigger two eazy wheels (or you need custom made bracket), not on mudguard. Some will have heel strike issue with these wider wheels, otherwise its material is the best for long term use.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I found I caught my heel on the cruddy castors Brompton fit as standard, I turned them wide side in to alleviate that but it wasn't a perfect solution. The easy wheels have not caused me any bother at all.

I noted the other day tho that they do seem to be wearing a bit badly, several of the teeth (ykwim) around the tyre are quite distorted and bent out of shape.

Top Bottom