Mudguards - Again......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

So I still need to decide on my mudguards! (I know, I know...)

So I think I've sort of decided on the SKS S Board for the front
94943-334516_1_Supersize.jpg

but I'm still undecided on the rear.
I could just go for the SKS S Blade, afterall I don't need mega protection as I'll not be riding much in the wet and certainly not through mud or across trails etc.
61140-177247_1_Supersize.jpg

However.....I have seen this whilst surfing Google and it seems the S Board can be fitted to the rear, and will likely give at least the same protection as the S Blade, if not a little more...
sboard03.jpg

What do you lot think?

I am also still considering the Raceblade Pro XL (probably the stealth black) but am still on the fence about the pedestrian appearance (yeah yeah, I know but there you are).
94930-334483_1_Supersize.jpg

gcogger

The S board pic looks like you'd still get a wet/muddy back, all the way down to the saddle :sad:

The ones on the bike pictures don't look like they'll do anything, to me when fitting mudguards I'd fit the largest I can to give best protection.

So Raceblade Pro XL for me.

Alex321

Veteran

View attachment 673575
I could just go for the SKS S Blade, afterall I don't need mega protection as I'll not be riding much in the wet and certainly not through mud or across trails etc.
View attachment 673576
However.....I have seen this whilst surfing Google and it seems the S Board can be fitted to the rear, and will likely give at least the same protection as the S Blade, if not a little more...
View attachment 673577

What do you lot think?

I am also still considering the Raceblade Pro XL (probably the stealth black) but am still on the fence about the pedestrian appearance (yeah yeah, I know but there you are).
View attachment 673578

That Sboard on the rear isn't going to do much to protect either you or anybody else you are riding with.

It will protect you saddlebag, and maybe your backside a little, but not the rest of your back.

To fully oprotect your back, a rear mudguard needs to extend far enough to cover just after the wheel starts to curve forwards. To protect riders behind yiou, it needs to extend even further - and go down the wheel rather than being the horizontal "blade" type.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Also, for some reason the 'Stealth' matt black are £10 more than the gloss back version! Is it crazy to pay £10 for the exact same mudguards simply to have them in matt or 'stealth' finish? It's not as if they are a full 'stealth' effect anyway, the wires are still silver and not a matt black.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks guys, I appreciate the Pro's will offer better protection but it's a trade off for me. As I said, I'm not fussed about max protection, just to catch some of it. My wet rides will only be if I get caught whilst already out or if the roads are wet.
I'll not be riding with others either, and certainly not in a club ride situation.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

View attachment 673575
View attachment 673576
View attachment 673577

What do you lot think?

View attachment 673578

I have the latter on my bike. They keep crap off my face and from ending up on my saddle, butt and back.

No good for anyone riding behind me (rare) and feet can still get wet.

Easy to get the things on and off the bike.

Got them on a matt black same price as gloss deal to match my bike from Wiggle a couple of years back.

Edit: your bike looks cool - similar to my Domane ALR Disc.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, for some reason the 'Stealth' matt black are £10 more than the gloss back version! Is it crazy to pay £10 for the exact same mudguards simply to have them in matt or 'stealth' finish? It's not as if they are a full 'stealth' effect anyway, the wires are still silver and not a matt black.

From every supplier?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

From every supplier?
No only Tredz but I have Tredz gift vouchers (for my 60th!)

Juliansou

I run the S board on the front and have also fitted one on the rear, as per your picture. It works surprisingly well! This is what I’ve got at the moment - Zefal swan - I find it a bit less of a phaff than the clip on ones. Pretty cheap - about a tenner if I remember correctly.

1673025361072.png

Adam4868

Guru
I have a Cube bike with the cube mudguards fitted.They stay on and can't say they've ever bothered me.Runs fine with 28 tyres but might be a push any bigger.
Screenshot_20230106-173859-843.png

Adam4868

Guru
It's a nice bike but I've sadly fallen out of love with it lately ! Probally because I got so used to my other bike/summer bike for a while.Came back to this and the discs were/are driving me insane.New pads/discs/chain/cassette and I seemed to be good to go.Then the dreaded squeal is back 🙄
I've been off the bike for over 3 weeks now due to work then flu.So when I finally get back on it if it doesn't behave there's a good chance it'll get launched over the sea wall !

Alex321

Veteran
I have a Cube bike with the cube mudguards fitted.They stay on and can't say they've ever bothered me.Runs fine with 28 tyres but might be a push any bigger.
View attachment 673600

I've got the cube attain mudguards on mine too. But they are specific to that range of bikes, because of the way the front mudguard attaches at the top (screw going up through the mudguard into a hole in the underside of the fork).

I do find it slightly irritating that the front one doesn't go a little further forward too, it means the spray off the wheel gets blown back onto my gopro and computer on the handlebars, plus the front of the steerer tube.

Top Bottom