Mudguards and rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novemberdelta

Hi looking for ideas.

I can't seem to fit my topeak super tourist rack along with my mudguards as there is not clearance. The rack is rubbing on the guard and I need an additional 3-4 cm clearance.

Topeak cs say no extenders are available and puzzlingly they also said there are very few racks on the market which also accommodate guards?! Which is clearly tripe.

I can always run a big saddlebag but I would favour a rack. Don't want to choose between guards and a rack. I should probably note I have a slide on gpx bag so the solution would ideally be topeak. But if not that's ok.

Fyi this is the bike
https://vitusbikes.com/products/mach-e-urban-ebike-claris

Thanks.

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can you temporarily mount the rack at the hub end and show us a photo ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Trying to remember the name of mine but it is wonderfully narrow and has lots of height clearance even though I had to grind the ends off the mounting legs because they are so close to the axle

Here it is....

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

Not fully reinstalled but shows the issues. The angles look crazy and the clearance is less than zero

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_174756.jpg
    IMG_20200814_174756.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200814_174801.jpg
    IMG_20200814_174801.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200814_174759.jpg
    IMG_20200814_174759.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 32

wajc

Veteran
Not fully reinstalled but shows the issues. The angles look crazy and the clearance is less than zero
I have the same rack as yours fitted to a Pinnacle Arkose with disc brakes and full mudguards so it can be done.

I don't think having dropped seat stays is doing you any favours as it has meant the rack mounting points are quite low.

You can get seat collars with rack mounting points that might help you.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Are you at the limit on the stainless steel mounting stays?
It looks as though you could slide the rack further from the bike giving more clearance?

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

Are you at the limit on the stainless steel mounting stays?
It looks as though you could slide the rack further from the bike giving more clearance?
Thanks, but alas I am more or less at the limit in the pic - but even with sliding it to the limit it doesn't provide enough clearance. I know the pic maybe doesn't show it, but the rack is pushing the guard down, and even if I had an additional cm or so with the stays it wouldn't be enough.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is it a new or old rack?

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

I have the same rack as yours fitted to a Pinnacle Arkose with disc brakes and full mudguards so it can be done.

I don't think having dropped seat stays is doing you any favours as it has meant the rack mounting points are quite low.

You can get seat collars with rack mounting points that might help you.

I think you are right about the seat stays. I've just had a look and I think a seat collar might help with clearance, but then the rack would be at a real slope, and not really usable. I am beginning to think this rack probably won't work.

Top Bottom