Mudguards, bridge mount, grommets ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Mudguards snapped this morning on a particularly rough bit of A road, should have cottoned on a bit earlier in the ride, there was a slight rattle on bumps before it failed...

. 20180503_080347.jpg

This is the second time it's they've failed there, get about 20K out of them. I'm guessing it's just fatigue, but is there a solution ? Maybe there exist m5 grommets which would allow some movement, and not rattle ?

si_c

Guru
Hmm, seems like it's flexing a bit too much there. A rubber or nylon washer might help, but perhaps reinforcing the underside by attaching (sugru or the like) a strip of metal might help by reducing the stress at that point.

alicat

Legendary Member
Mine did that. I found I could screw the mudguards directly into the underside of the bridge.

Alternatively what Adrian says.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Doesn't that markedly reduce clearance between the mudguard (head of the bolt going up to the bridge) and the tyre?
Make/model of mudguard is?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I simply remove the bridge and rely on the correct positioning of the mudguard stays to hold the mudguard in shape. If the guard is likely to contact the frame I use a small self adhesive felt pad.

D

Deleted member 1258

Mudguards snapped this morning on a particularly rough bit of A road, should have cottoned on a bit earlier in the ride, there was a slight rattle on bumps before it failed...

. View attachment 407117

This is the second time it's they've failed there, get about 20K out of them. I'm guessing it's just fatigue, but is there a solution ? Maybe there exist m5 grommets which would allow some movement, and not rattle ?

I've always found that these are prone to breaking, I usually find I get 4 or 5 years from them, but sometimes they only last a year or so. I like Tenacious Sloth's idea but on a bike with rim brakes its not going to work.

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
Thx all, ordered some tap washers (hadn't thought of those), and have a plan on how to use the bridge mount that comes with the mudguards

pdw-full-metal-fenders-hardware-pack-4878-p.jpg

I'm thinking I can drill a hole in the rear bridge support and cut off the excess, that might provide the required support.

Top Bottom