Mudguards for a Boardman Hybrid Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone out there fitted mudguards to a Boardman Hybrid? I was originally planning on fitting my old SKS Chromo's to it - but having a carbon fork meant no lugs to screw the stabiliser arms to. Yesterday I went and bought some Crud Racer 2's - only to find they don't fit either as a) the disc brake gets in the way and b) there's no brake caliper to cable tie the top of the guard to. Will be taking these back as they've not been used. Any suggestions from anyone with what to replace them with?

Dave W

I've got some on my team hybrid, just one of the bolts needed to be longer so cost me a whole 30p.

I just got some sks and they went on fine.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I've got some on my team hybrid, just one of the bolts needed to be longer so cost me a whole 30p.

I just got some sks and they went on fine.
Did you fit the SKS Raceguards? (i.e. the ones that use rubber straps to fit to the forks/seat stays?). Have been looking around and they seem the best option for me now.

Dave W

Did you fit the SKS Raceguards? (i.e. the ones that use rubber straps to fit to the forks/seat stays?). Have been looking around and they seem the best option for me now.

Nope normal sks guards, all the fittings are there for them on the bike.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
OK - how did you fit the front ones?
I can find the hole in the top of the fork through which I can fasten the mudguard. However there are no lugs to fasten the stabiliser stays to. Have you fitten the mudguard without the stays. Or have you fastened these to the QR hub in some way?

Dave W

OK - how did you fit the front ones?
I can find the hole in the top of the fork through which I can fasten the mudguard. However there are no lugs to fasten the stabiliser stays to. Have you fitten the mudguard without the stays. Or have you fastened these to the QR hub in some way?

Ah, my forks have lugs, which is strange as I thought the team and pro hybrids shared the same forks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I used some plastic reflector brackets as P clips on the fork legs, with an old pair of SKS, OK as a comrpomise but in the end I gave ups cos they rubbed and were a pain to keep in place properly. . You can't fit raceguards or anything similar because of the disc calipers.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
How about the Zefal Trail/City mudguards? These attach through the bolt hole at the top of the fork, don't use stays and have the advantage of being quickly removable. They're nothing like as good as full SKS Chromoplastics but they're an adequate compromise if you don't have fitting lugs. I'd still use the Chromoplastics on the rear and, as the latest Hybrid Pro has had the brake callipers moved inside the frame, the stays should not require any bending.

Decathlon also do something similar to the Zefals but cheaper if you are near them.

Dave W

It looks like they still do - have just been on the boardman site and the 2011 team has no lugs on it either!! It's looking like I might have to get inventive.

They don't have the lugs on the website or even on the demo models in Halfords but my 2011 team definitely has lugs on the forks cos I used them.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I used some plastic reflector brackets as P clips on the fork legs, with an old pair of SKS, OK as a comrpomise but in the end I gave ups cos they rubbed and were a pain to keep in place properly. . You can't fit raceguards or anything similar because of the disc calipers.
I had thought of doing something similar - didn't have time last night - but getting fed up of the road cr*p going all over the bike.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
How about the Zefal Trail/City mudguards? These attach through the bolt hole at the top of the fork, don't use stays and have the advantage of being quickly removable. They're nothing like as good as full SKS Chromoplastics but they're an adequate compromise if you don't have fitting lugs. I'd still use the Chromoplastics on the rear and, as the latest Hybrid Pro has had the brake callipers moved inside the frame, the stays should not require any bending.

Decathlon also do something similar to the Zefals but cheaper if you are near them.

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll take a good look at lunchtime and see if there's anything I can use. :biggrin:

jamin100

Guru
Have just ordered a set of Zefal Trial/Hybrid mudguards for my bike. £8.99 from Tredz. Hopefully these will do the job. They've got to be better than what's on there at the moment (i.e. nothing) anyway!

Thanks for this post as I have a Chris Boardman hybrid comp 2010 and have just ordered the zefal tryal/hybrids too..

Will see what they are like when they arrive

Top Bottom