Mudguards for a Boardman Hybrid Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Thanks for this post as I have a Chris Boardman hybrid comp 2010 and have just ordered the zefal tryal/hybrids too..

Will see what they are like when they arrive
The only bad thing I read about them on reviews was problems with the size of the M5 bolts - the front one not being long enough and the back one too long. Should be easy enough to pick them up from a local DIY shop if you don't have any lying around so I couldn't really see what the problem was!!

jamin100

Guru
Mine have been delivered from wiggle.
Not had a chance to get them on the bike yet, however first impressions.

They seem well made and sturdy
Very light
They are wider than I was expecting

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Not got mine yet.

I figured they might be wide as hybrids can have a large range of tyre sizes. Have 28mm tyres on mine.

As long as they're not stupidly wide they'll do for me. Anything that protects me and the bike from the rubbish on the road. They'll be off in the spring anyway!!! :biggrin:

jamin100

Guru
Well fitted them tonight and its a really tight fit. Maybe too tight

I had to cut the clip that goes onto the frame off and this leaves me with probably 1cm clearence on the back

The front is much easier though

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

jamin100

Guru
My boardman was 2nd hand and i think the person who owned it before me must of had mudguards already fitted because in the front fork there was a nice long bolt as the one that comes in the pack is too short.

From the instructions you have to mount the metal bracket with the metal bit on the inside of the bike frame. I found that If i did this then I would have to cut loads off each mudguard. If you mount it on the outside of the frame then I didnt have to cut any off the front and only the retaining clip off the back

Its a very tight fit though and put a bik of black insulation tape on the bottom of the back frame to stop the mudguard rubbing the frame and marking it.,

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Mudguards fitted and doing the biz!! :biggrin:

Took about 30 mins to fit. Didn't have to use any bolts except the ones supplied as the mount hole on the front fork tapers towards the front. It was just a little fiddly putting the nut into the hole and positioning so that I could tighten with the hex key. The back mudguard was actually more awkward. I have a pannier rack on my bike and attaching with the clip meant it caught the back tyre. Had to snip that bit off - drill a small hole in the mudguard and fasten with a cable tie instead.

No problems so far and dry clothes to boot!!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Sorry to be The Necromancer here http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/necromancer.htm

but that last post doesn't make sense to me!

Which mudguards were great; the ones you ordered and fitted and said were great at the top of the page, or a pair of SKS Chromes?

thanks

Pete
Don't fit the 1st ones I did - they don't work properly. The SKS Chromos are the business. If you have the same type of Boardman as mine then fitting the rear is easy. The front can be acheived by a) putting a nut in the whole at the back of the top for the forks. Putting a bolt through the front hole at the top of the forks and tightening (not excessively).One stay can be fixed to the bottom disk brake bolt. The other side you need to buy one of those bottle mount kits (for bikes without built in threads) and wrap that around the other fork. The stay will then fix to that.

few cloudy

Regular
Many thanks for quick reply, will do as you say. One last thing; are the SKS Chromos sized do you know, like different widths? Or is it one size fits all?

Top Bottom