Mudguards for my winter road (race) bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Hi all,

I'd like to 'winterise' my old road bike now that I have a newer carbon Dolan. The old bike is a 2006 Giant TCR2 fitted with 700c x 23 tyres. I'm not that keen on the SKS race blades and prefer the full on option of the SKS chromoplastic ones - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25793

Reason being that I'm as interested in protected the brake assembly and frame from dirt and water as I am about the water spraying on me!

My bike doesn't have eyelets, but do the SKS guards come with fixings to negate the need for eyelets? Or am I resigned to the option of race blades? Maybe this is a moot discussion and my frame won't have the necessary clearance?

Thanks,
Dave.

nickb

Guru
dodgy said:
My bike doesn't have eyelets, but do the SKS guards come with fixings to negate the need for eyelets? Or am I resigned to the option of race blades? Maybe this is a moot discussion and my frame won't have the necessary clearance?
If you're wanting to protect the frame, adding mudguards might have the opposite effect. I had a set of Race Blades on my old mountain bike and when I removed them they had rubbed the paint away underneath. It seems the dirt & grit gets under the rubber pads.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Thanks Nick, I would be using fablon under any fixings. I have a big roll of it in the garage and have placed it on strategic spots on all my bikes already.

Dave.

e-rider

crappy member
The fixings (p-clips) are easy to buy (either plastic or fancy stainless steel ones with rubbers). Your biggest problem is clearance - both, under the brake calipers and between the seat tube and rear wheel. I'd be surprised if they will fit! You could try 20mm tyres to give you a little more space.

RedBike

You can use p-clips to get around the lack of mud-guard eyes. They're available from most DIY stores
p_clip.jpg

However, there are a couple of problems....

The first is the TCR has 'fag paper' clearances. I doubt you'd get full length mud-guard to fit between the brakes/frame and the wheel; and fitting anything to bladed forks is going to be a nightmare.

The second is by using p-clips you will scratch your frame. Dirt tends to build up inbetween the clips/pads and the frame. As the guards vibrate about the clips rub polishing/scratching the frame.

Race blades are good enough to stop most of the spray going up your back but they don't stop your shoes filling with water or protect your bike.

RedBike

I've just remembered someone I used to ride with had an OCR. They used to run full length sks mud-guards on that.

Maybe with the right tyres the guards will fit; it's going to be extremly tight though.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Seems like someone else has fitted mudguards to a TCR2, this bike is the same frame as mine -
attachment.php

Are they SKS Chromoplastics? They don't seem a perfect fit?

Dave.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
They certainly look like sks chromoplastic

D

Deleted member 1258

on the picture the front mudguard looks like its held on with cable ties, it also looks like a very tight fit as well. If its that tight you might have major problems with dirt building up between the guard and the wheel. I had that on my Dawes giro when I first had it, I solved it by replacing the guard with one with a more rounded profile. When I was using P-Clips on my old Dawes 531 12 speed I used to use electrical tape under the P-Clip to protect the frame.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Cheers Dave, I've just (about 90 seconds ago) ordered some SKS Chromoplastics. I'll let you know just how tight the fit is (fingers crossed).

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

OK all, I have managed to get the Mudguards to fit, nothing is catching after just a small amount of adjustment. I haven't been able to fit the stays yet as I now need some P-Clips like the ones Redbike mentions above. I'm going to need much bigger clips that the ones in the picture further up the thread for the forks as they are bladed (slightly).
Any ideas where I can get them from?

Thanks for any info.
Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Update, thought doubt if you lot are actually interested ;) I've ordered some stainless fasteners and P-Clips from www.stagonset.co.uk/ and I reckon I can secure the front stays with some tie wraps.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

The rear guards are on now, wasn't that difficult really. I couldn't use the plastic end caps on the stays because the stays need shortening slightly, the little grub screws seem to secure them enough but I'll keep an eye on them. If they don't stay in position I'll have to shorten the stays, but it won't be that easy, they're made of fairly tough steel.
Just need to do the front now, I'll have to use tie wraps as the p-clips won't go around my bladed forks.

Dave.
Dave.

Top Bottom