Mudguards for Spesh Tricross Single

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mudguard choice is usually so easy. But I don't know whether to go for 35 or 45 mm mudguards on these bikes.

They come with 32mm tyres and acres of mudguard clearance. My partner's is now shod with 25mm gator skins 'borrowed' from one of my other bikes, and these will be fine with 35 mm narrow guards.

They will probably be a smidge lighter and give less drag. But 45 mm mudguards will give much more tyre choice in the future when the gators are worn out.

I'm also wondering whether the 35mm guard will look a bit daft given all the clearance these bikes have?

bonj2

think how *likely* you are to want to fit wider tyres. do you ever get the urge to go anywhere now but think 'no, my tyres aren't wide enough.'? If no, then you're probably not likely to want wider tyres in the future. (But then again if yes, then if it was me i'd get wider tyres now, but i'm guessing you've already decided to wait till they wear out...)
AFAIK there's no shortage of choice of 35mm tyres so you won't have trouble replacing them if you dont' want to go fatter. Also mudguards that are far wider than the tyres may look a bit silly, or may just look 'chic' and ecclectic, it's your gamble...
personally if it was me I'd get 35mm ones and replace the gatorskins with other 35mm tyres when they wear out because you can do towpaths and the like on them, any gnarlier and it's mtb territory, but that's just my opinion, it depends on whether you actually have any itch to go with fatter tyres.

d_c_h_w

Über Member
Why no compromise and get a 42mm

SKS do a 42mm in their bluemels range. I've got some on order for my tricross which is currently shod with 28mm Conti Contacts.

There are meant for tyres between 25 to 35

Top Bottom