Mudguards on Croix de Fer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
IMG_20160513_150741_hdr.jpg
I've just bought a Genesis Croix de Fer 20. I bought a set of SKS Chromoplastic P50 mudguards for it and have just fitted them. With the front derailleur on the big ring the mech presses on and distorts the mudguard. Before I attack it with a Dremel, does anyone have ideas about how else I can get a good fit? I went for the P50 width guards because I may want to put wider tyres on the bike in future.

mythste

Veteran
Forget what all those egotistical roadies say, no one uses the big ring anymore! ;) :laugh:

lpretro1

It will be ok to cut a slot in the guard carefully to accommodate OR if you have enough clearance between seat tube abd wheel you could put some spacers in to lift it further back?

I dremel my SKS in all kinds of places. It is tough material. Suggest you nibble away and keep your cutouts curved with no corners. I nibble the bit between the chainstays to be a tight fit and grip the inner sides.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It will be ok to cut a slot in the guard carefully to accommodate OR if you have enough clearance between seat tube abd wheel you could put some spacers in to lift it further back?
There's not much room for that, sadly.

I dremel my SKS in all kinds of places. It is tough material. Suggest you nibble away and keep your cutouts curved with no corners.
Thanks. I think it's the only way.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Ooh, you've got the green one too, lovely eh?
I got the LBS to fit mudguards on mine, seems they decided on long guards, let me go take a couple of pics...
Yes, very happy so far, but have only done 15 miles so needs a bit of a longer run this weekend to get the saddle adjusted just right. If the weather is half decent I shall probably pootle down to the coast tomorrow. I've had mixed reactions to the colour but I like it.

it was SKS Longboard 35mm they fit. Works with the stock tyres though.
I bought the P50s on the basis of this post on the Genesis site. Seems they've changed the mech since then. Live and learn.

Yes, very happy so far, but have only done 15 miles so needs a bit of a longer run this weekend to get the saddle adjusted just right. If the weather is half decent I shall probably pootle down to the coast tomorrow. I've had mixed reactions to the colour but I like it.

I bought the P50s on the basis of this post on the Genesis site. Seems they've changed the mech since then. Live and learn.

Ironically I found this thread:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/15/07/13/2014-croix-tweaked-refined

You'd think they'd be a bit clearer!

Top Bottom