Mudguards PDW - any experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think they're Berthoud. Richard built the complete bike for me (I trust him to do that - always built my own before). Velo Orange and Berthoud guards available here - https://www.veloduo.co.uk/collections/mudguards
Can't speak for the Berthoud but the Velo Orange mudguards are also excellent, have them on the All-City;

IMG_4012.jpeg

Those SKS ones are good but are susceptible to damage(get a few in the shop needing repair/replacement after getting bashed parked up in Cambridge) and can rattle a bit too (not as bad as the front one on my Enve forks:rolleyes:).

Just had a cursory look at those VO ones. Is the idea that if something gets caught up in the front stay it's pulled out of the pipe clamp?

The owner of my favourite bike shop was killed by a mudguard stay. Lovely man. Front wheel caught up and he landed in front of a lorry.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just had a cursory look at those VO ones. Is the idea that if something gets caught up in the front stay it's pulled out of the pipe clamp?

The owner of my favourite bike shop was killed by a mudguard stay. Lovely man. Front wheel caught up and he landed in front of a lorry.

Yes. Provided you don't over-tighten them. Same idea works with mudguard eye-bolts in the absence of quick-releases - just make sure there's no burr on the end of the stays and tighten the nuts just enough

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I went into a small bike shop many years ago to see what mudguards they had in. The owner of the shop went into a rant on the subject and how he not only would not have them on his bike, he wouldn't sell them either. I was a bit shocked and asked why. He said that his best mate had been killed after his front mudguard got jammed by debris.

I read a report in Cycling Weekly about a cyclist who was in a coma after an acorn got flicked up under his mudguard and sent him over the handlebar.

That's why I think that Secu-clips are a very good idea. I don't suppose they protect you against all eventualities, but I think that they would help cut the risk of something really bad happening.

I went into a small bike shop many years ago to see what mudguards they had in. The owner of the shop went into a rant on the subject and how he not only would not have them on his bike, he wouldn't sell them either. I was a bit shocked and asked why. He said that his best mate had been killed after his front mudguard got jammed by debris.

I read a report in Cycling Weekly about a cyclist who was in a coma after an acorn got flicked up under his mudguard and sent him over the handlebar.

That's why I think that Secu-clips are a very good idea. I don't suppose they protect you against all eventualities, but I think that they would help cut the risk of something really bad happening.

It wasn't a shop in Reading, was it?

AlanW

Guru
@Fab Foodie did you fit a set of PDW mudguards in the end?

Im considering buying a set for a Reilly Spectre Ti frame which will be the replacement for my failed Kinesis Ti frame. But the front guard seems very long in comparison to the normal SKS Bluemels, which reminds on the SKS Longboard version. Which in principle seemed like an innovative idea and while it did indeed keep your feet dry, I was forever catching it on dropped kerbs etc till it finally snapped. :cry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... which reminds on the SKS Longboard version. Which in principle seemed like an innovative idea and while it did indeed keep your feet dry, I was forever catching it on dropped kerbs etc till it finally snapped. :cry:
I kept catching the front Longboard on my CAADX. I ended up nibbling a few cms off it. It is still longer than any other mudguard that I have used but is now much less problematic.

AlanW

Guru
I kept catching the front Longboard on my CAADX. I ended up nibbling a few cms off it. It is still longer than any other mudguard that I have used but is now much less problematic.

I snapped mine before I got to cutting it down....doh!

I just use the normal SKS Bluemels with a long RAW mud flap on the front on all my bikes, perfect combo IMHO.

While the SKS ones are indeed somewhat of a faff to fit first time around and can be prone to breaking, its usually down to them be fitted under a slight degree of stress that causes them to break. But fit them correctly and free of any stress points, I've found them to be pretty much perfect and durable.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie did you fit a set of PDW mudguards in the end?

Im considering buying a set for a Reilly Spectre Ti frame which will be the replacement for my failed Kinesis Ti frame. But the front guard seems very long in comparison to the normal SKS Bluemels, which reminds on the SKS Longboard version. Which in principle seemed like an innovative idea and while it did indeed keep your feet dry, I was forever catching it on dropped kerbs etc till it finally snapped. :cry:

Not yet!!!
Life keeps getting in the way :angry:
The bike keeps ending-up looking like it's been down a muddy farm track...which is most of the small roads around here. Need to get it sorted. But then am wondering whether the cash would be better spent building-up an Orbit Expedition frame I have in the garage with fat tyres and mahoosive guards for riding in the winter - something like a wint/ergravel bikey thing. Then save the Rourke for better days.

Dunno yet. I guess in Devon even summers can be pretty wet, so maybe I should get on with it.

Know what you mean about long front guard on kerbs, but to be fair I don't roll-off kerbs very often....

Sallar55

Veteran
My next buy will be the biggest mudguards PDW make. Will be for my 29er touring bike that has 2.25 Mezcals. Have them on a road bike , expensive but no noise and very durable (10years old) and the anodised coating is still good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not yet!!!
Life keeps getting in the way :angry:
The bike keeps ending-up looking like it's been down a muddy farm track...which is most of the small roads around here. Need to get it sorted. But then am wondering whether the cash would be better spent building-up an Orbit Expedition frame I have in the garage with fat tyres and mahoosive guards for riding in the winter - something like a wint/ergravel bikey thing. Then save the Rourke for better days.

Dunno yet. I guess in Devon even summers can be pretty wet, so maybe I should get on with it.

Know what you mean about long front guard on kerbs, but to be fair I don't roll-off kerbs very often....

You need a dirty bike with guards, not the Rourke !

AlanW

Guru
You need a dirty bike with guards, not the Rourke !

I must admit that with the demise of the Ti frame which was my winter mudguarded bike, the plan was once the Rourke frame was refurbed that would become the new winter stead. However, Jason has done such a sterling job of refurbing it and the paint finish is simply outstanding, its seems criminal to get it filthy now :cry:

Good excuse to get another Ti frame I guess, I'm sure MrsW will 100% agree with me :laugh:

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
PDW only do up to 27.5 in the wide guards, no 29 versions. jones bikes are making them for fat tyres but its from the USA.

Top Bottom