Mudguards PDW - any experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You've half persuaded me... :whistle:

I don't want to spend much on mudguards and don't want them permanently on my bike, so I have compromised and ordered a set of THESE to bring down for our Devon ride in Feb. They won't stop my bike spraying crud over the rest of you, but they should reduce how much crud it sprays over me! :laugh:

Seen those in operation. You'd get a lot of comments round here..........mainly negative ones. 🤣

roley poley

Ãœber Member
BUT... NO SECU-CLIPS!!!! :eek:

Did you fit your own (e.g. THESE)?

i know secu-clips prevent the mudguard from an unwanted jamming behind the wheel but mine used to pop out as i rode over a pothole and required a small thin shim of card to correct ...they were a bit too keen for the desired effect

adamhearn

Veteran
Dears
In the market to replace my shabby Chromoplastics mudguards - they've done 8 years or so.

Devon in the 'more rainy season' leaves country roads awash with flood, mud, and crud, so after a few trips sans mudguards I have decided they're probably a necessity for at least the winter.
Always liked the PDW's @Nick Saddlesore has a sexy blue pair on his fine bicycle, but unfortunately only black is an option nowadays (I hate black on a bicycle)....
Anyhow, they're light, well made, very long (as required) and by all accounts rattle-free.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/portland-design-works-full-metal-fenders-road-plus?accid=13209&clickref=jkp_EAIaIQobChMIwrSdh9y6_AIVxevtCh3rjA_OEAQYBiABEgLPGvD_BwE&cpn=18966797410&devi=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrSdh9y6_AIVxevtCh3rjA_OEAQYBiABEgLPGvD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrSdh9y6_AIVxevtCh3rjA_OEAQYBiABEgLPGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclsrc=aw.ds&locp=1006662&nw=x&ruid=7908845410679022286&sadt=pla&siteid=1295665&source=webgains&url=https://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click?lid=58700008176446404&utm_campaign=nmpi&utm_content=generic&utm_medium=css&utm_source=bybuybye&utm_term=generic&variant=37792865222806&wgc=1295665&wgp=281345

37mm seems the size for 28c tyres

I know they're a bit spendy, but life is short....

Thoughts?

"Life is short" is that a euphemism for "look at me I've got money to burn"? These look as good and you can replace them every so often and still have change :blush::becool::laugh:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKS-Bluemels-Mudguard-Matt-Black/dp/B003YPBAPC

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You've half persuaded me... :whistle:

I don't want to spend much on mudguards and don't want them permanently on my bike, so I have compromised and ordered a set of THESE to bring down for our Devon ride in Feb. They won't stop my bike spraying crud over the rest of you, but they should reduce how much crud it sprays over me! :laugh:

Actually, less interested in spraying crud or being sprayed over, but good mudguards keep the drive train and ones feet much cleaner...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

"Life is short" is that a euphemism for "look at me I've got money to burn"? These look as good and you can replace them every so often and still have change :blush::becool::laugh:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKS-Bluemels-Mudguard-Matt-Black/dp/B003YPBAPC

I can afford the pdw if they're worth it.
Others are under consideration.
I have had chromoplastics for the last 8 years, but if pdw is better (and I think they are), why shouldn't I?

How I choose to spend my money is my business....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually, less interested in spraying crud or being sprayed over, but good mudguards keep the drive train and ones feet much cleaner...

True. The Longboards on my CAADX give superb protection.

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rack.jpg

Two problems though...
  1. The front guard was that effective because of the length of it, but I kept catching it on kerbs etc. In the end I trimmed it by a few cms to reduce that problem without giving up too much protection.
  2. I could never quite get the front guard to stop rattling. The rear one is fine, but the front one is not. After a lot of adjustments I reduced the noise by about 50% but it is still annoying on rough roads.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have stainless steel guards on the two Halletts and plastic Widget ones on the two Ti frames. The steel ones are silent, bullet-proof, and not heavy. The others are okay but do rattle a bit sometimes.

IMG_20211212_141831072~2.jpg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I have stainless steel guards on the two Halletts and plastic Widget ones on the two Ti frames. The steel ones are silent, bullet-proof, and not heavy. The others are okay but do rattle a bit sometimes.

View attachment 674323

That's beautiful!
Where did you get the stainless guards?
My Chromoplastics do the job, but rattle over rough surfaces which we have around here aplenty....

Velochris

Ãœber Member
Fend Off

No idea what bike you ride, if these would fit or not. I have the wide version and they are superb, three friends fitted the same on the strength of seeing mine. Also £60 cheaper!!!!!

Secure clips. The eyelet of the stays fits into the clip and the bolt only goes through the secure clip. In theory it means if something gets stuck in the guard the guard can pull away because the stay is pulled out of the secure clip. If those Kenesis ones fit into the clips I'm very tempted.

1673704647970.png

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Secure clips. The eyelet of the stays fits into the clip and the bolt only goes through the secure clip. In theory it means if something gets stuck in the guard the guard can pull away because the stay is pulled out of the secure clip. If those Kenesis ones fit into the clips I'm very tempted.

View attachment 674359

Can't help you with that. Mine are attached directly to the frame and I've never used those clips.

Top Bottom