Mudguards & rack for my CX bike which won't make it look like it belongs to my mum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boris Bike

Sorry for all the "please recommend me a..." posts I've been wacking up; just bought a new bike and have been pimping it up.

Got a Boardman CX Team and I'm toying with the idea of putting mudguards and a rack on it (yeah, yeah, I know). I use it for commuting so it would be good to get the back off my back, but I don't want to make my bike look rubbish.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can do this and still keep the bike looking good?

What this person has done with their tricross doesn't look too bad (would prefer a black rack though) - http://www.pbase.com/niblue/image/94206654/original.jpg

lejogger

Guru
I have the exact same bike as you... obviously with guards and a rack as it's my commuter/tourer...

Guards are dependant on whether you've changed the tyres over. I've got 700x25 Schwalbe Marathon so I can fit some slim ones on. I went for the SKS chromoplastics. They look pretty smart. The only issue you'll have is that due to the clearance the front one sits quite high over the tyre. It doesn't affect the effectiveness, it just could look better. Obviously if you're handy you could make or find some sort of extention to bring it down a bit. I'll try to post some pics when i get home so you can see what I mean.

For the rack I went for the Tubus Vega. Nice and slim and light, easy to fit. Looks nice in black.

lejogger

Guru
Ok... pics attached as promised.

Apologies for the poor quality of the first. That's the laden bike in full touring mode.

In the second pic you can see where a lengthened link or some kind of extension would lower it more neatly down to the tyre. It's not a huge problem... only if you're picky. Also, i think due to the clearance you'd probably get this problem with most guards

Third pick shows the rear rack. Obviously I've got the ortlieb adapter for the trunk bag on there too. It's a bit bulky and weighty, but taking the rack bag off with one push of a button is very handy!

Forgot to mention too that you may have a bit of difficulty with the front disc brake unit as it's right in the way of where the stay needs to go. I've seen people try to bend them but I just hacksawed the stay off. 3 is plenty.

Attachments

• Tour.PNG
    Tour.PNG
    75.3 KB · Views: 757
  • Front Guard.JPG
    Front Guard.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 720
  • Rack.JPG
    Rack.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 663

lejogger

Guru
Here's the picture of the missing stay, and the full bike without the panniers.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Stay.JPG
    Stay.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 629
  • Bike.JPG
    Bike.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 840

lejogger

Guru
Tubus fly and tortecs is what I run and what I attempt to fit on anything else.

I would have gone for the fly, but with the 2 rack bolts on the CX I went for a rack with 2 fittings, the Vega is very similar if not identical apart from the fittings isn't it?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Here's the picture of the missing stay, and the full bike without the panniers.

Hope this helps.

Front one is a bit high, can you make or get an extension?

How are you getting on with the BB5, had them on a Marin and drove me mad. I am looking at the CX but the BB5 to BB7 would deffo be my first upgrade.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure the back one would catch all the crud either? Not being critical but as above the CX is a bike I am looking at for the winter.

lejogger

Guru

If you're handy you could probably make one - I'm not sure if you can buy one, but I haven't really looked. I haven't seen it as a priority because the guard still works perfectly. It's just aesthetics that would make me try something. It's only 3 months old, so I'll probably get round to it soon.

How are you getting on with the BB5, had them on a Marin and drove me mad. I am looking at the CX but the BB5 to BB7 would deffo be my first upgrade.
They're fine. Good stopping power. Took a couple of hundred miles to bed in, and i get a tiny bit of quiet honking from the rear one when im pushing it backwards into the garage, but nothing when actually riding.
The front makes an odd sound too when braking hard, but I'm not sure if that's just disc brakes as I've not had them before.
So yes, potential for an upgrade in the future, but it's not a priority.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

BB5 nearly broke my will to live.

lejogger

Guru
Not sure the back one would catch all the crud either? Not being critical but as above the CX is a bike I am looking at for the winter.

The back is catching everything. It is a bit further away from the seat stay than I would have liked, but it just needs a couple of washers and it will be much better. Again, it's just aesthetics in my opinion as I've had no problem with spray etc.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
And good luck getting it NOT to look like your Mum's bike.

Four days of the week I arrive at work looking like a hardcore, savage mountain biker. On shopping day (with the panniers attached) I get laughed at and called "Postman Pat".

You'll get used to it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I would have gone for the fly, but with the 2 rack bolts on the CX I went for a rack with 2 fittings, the Vega is very similar if not identical apart from the fittings isn't it?

Vega has a wider top platform than the fly I think and a single fitting but that is it.

My frame has two rack bolts, and dual pivot brakes, so I used a Tubus adapter with the fly so only use one. Plenty rigid enough with the loads a Fly can handle.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sorry for all the "please recommend me a..." posts I've been wacking up; just bought a new bike and have been pimping it up.

Got a Boardman CX Team and I'm toying with the idea of putting mudguards and a rack on it (yeah, yeah, I know).
if you know, why are you persisting..........

Top Bottom