Mudguards & rack for my CX bike which won't make it look like it belongs to my mum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Mine too, they either rubbed or didn't work! I can still hear and feel the regular bump bump bump and in my mind feeling it sapping my energy.

Well if it helps, I don't have that issue with mine. I made sure they set the pads properly at the 6 weeks service, although I did have the bedding in issue pretty much up to that 6 week point... I actually have a couple of good mechanics at my local Halfords.
I had cycled about 800 miles in my first 6 weeks though.

OP
OP
Boris Bike

Boris Bike

I have the exact same bike as you... obviously with guards and a rack as it's my commuter/tourer...

Guards are dependant on whether you've changed the tyres over. I've got 700x25 Schwalbe Marathon so I can fit some slim ones on.
Thanks very much for all your info and photos - bike looks smart.

I've still got the nobbleys on at the moment. Probably will keep them through the winter so I'll have to look for something a little larger. Although may change my mind if I get annoyed with them. The tyres are 35mm so coupld probably go for the 45mm version of these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/

lejogger

Guru
Thanks very much for all your info and photos - bike looks smart.

I've still got the nobbleys on at the moment. Probably will keep them through the winter so I'll have to look for something a little larger. Although may change my mind if I get annoyed with them. The tyres are 35mm so coupld probably go for the 45mm version of these - http://www.wiggle.co...d-mudguard-set/

It's a judgement call. The wider guards would allow you to change tyre widths without problem, but if you did get narrow ones it might look a bit silly.
I decided straight away that I'd be changing tyres so got the guards that would look the best with them.

I would have a think about getting some more commuting-style tyres though. Despite being knobbly, the CX tyres seem very thin and lightweight to me (i.e. depth not width)... I could imagine getting a lot of puntures. They won't roll as well on the road either.

lejogger

Guru
What are the Boardman bottle holders you have? I'd like some but the only ones I can see are the £35 carbon ones.

They're £35 carbon ones :wacko:

I have two on my Team Carbon too! A little indulgent I know, but I liked them and I think the accessories were 3 for 2 so I got them and a Cateye computer and it worked out much more reasonable.

OP
OP
Boris Bike

Boris Bike

I would have a think about getting some more commuting-style tyres though.
Yeah I've been thinking about that. I had the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my mountain bike and liked them.

How does one decide what width to get?

lejogger

Guru
Yeah I've been thinking about that. I had the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my mountain bike and liked them.

How does one decide what width to get?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I wanted something a bit more sturdy and puncture resistant than the continental slicks that I have on the road bike, but still narrow enough to roll well on the road. The Schwalbe Marathon 25s are therefore just right for me. My touring partner has them on his touring/commuter bike and did a 27:32 10 mile TT in a duathlon with them so they're not slow.
Depends what you're used to though and how confident you are on a narrower tyre.

Many commuters on the forum favour the Marathon plus if they're in your price range. I might opt for them next time.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I use Marathon Plus 25's on my Merida Cyclocross, did my 1st 100 miler in 6hr 32mins earlier in the year using them, done around 1000 miles on them and they still look brand new i.e. still got the moulding rubber on them!

Dilbert

Thanks for posting those pictures. I am picking mine up this afternoon :biggrin: and I have been trying to work out what mudguards to go for. Are they 35 or 45? I am fitting 28 tyres, I did not know you could go down to 25. I have gone for a Topeak rack as I already have a beam rack and bag which I want to carry on using.

A friend has a Boardman Hybrid which he has had for 18 months with BB5 on and has not had any problems. I specifically asked him about them when I was looking at the CX.

lejogger

Guru
Thanks for posting those pictures. I am picking mine up this afternoon :biggrin: and I have been trying to work out what mudguards to go for. Are they 35 or 45? I am fitting 28 tyres, I did not know you could go down to 25. I have gone for a Topeak rack as I already have a beam rack and bag which I want to carry on using.

They're the 35. I have no plans to fit wider tyres. If I wanted to go offroad with the original CX ones then I'd probably take the guards off.

The rims comfortably take the 700x25 tyres

Dilbert

Thanks, I am going to get some ordered today, looks like they may be needed from the long range forecast. I have already swapped the tyres over and moved my lights. Can't take it for a run out as I have got man-flu today, looks lovely though. Folks in our Halfords are OK too, but I found this last night for future reference.

OP
OP
Boris Bike

Boris Bike

They're the 35. I have no plans to fit wider tyres. If I wanted to go offroad with the original CX ones then I'd probably take the guards off.

The rims comfortably take the 700x25 tyres
Think I'll go for the 45 as I'm keeping the 35 knobblies through winter, then may swap to a 28 size road tyre next year. The 45 mm guards should be able to take both.

Do you think the 45s would still fit with the rack?

lejogger

Guru
Think I'll go for the 45 as I'm keeping the 35 knobblies through winter, then may swap to a 28 size road tyre next year. The 45 mm guards should be able to take both.

Do you think the 45s would still fit with the rack?

The rack will be fine. My only concern is whether the forks and rear seat stays would have enough width to take an extra 10mm.

See photos attached. Front probably ok...:thumbsup: Rear maybe not :sad:

It will be close, you may have to take it to the LBS and try it...

Attachments

• front forks guard.JPG
    front forks guard.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Rear Guard.JPG
    Rear Guard.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Rear Guard 2.JPG
    Rear Guard 2.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
Boris Bike

Boris Bike

The rack will be fine. My only concern is whether the forks and rear seat stays would have enough width to take an extra 10mm.

See photos attached. Front probably ok...:thumbsup: Rear maybe not :sad:

It will be close, you may have to take it to the LBS and try it...
Cheers, and thanks for the photos.

Yeah it looks like some more investigation is needed.

Top Bottom