Mudguards recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
PLANET X were honest enough to tell me they didn't think much of the ones they stock. New Kaffenback SRAM RED on it's way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you have room.
SKS Chromoplastic.​
if you don't have room.
Crud roadracer​

The SKS guards on my town bike with wider tyres has been great and stood up to a lot of abuse, three pairs on my road bike have all failed quickly, the current ones are held together by the metal bracket which I had to mod with rubber pads (spare from light brackets) to ensure there was some cushioning/ grip. Despite the fact that SKS have twice replaced them FOC, I tempted to try a different brand next winter, I don't know what though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have SKS Chromplastics on the hybrid and they have been excellent. My road bike has limited clearance under the brake calipers. I'm currently using 25 mm tyres. When they wear out, I'll switch to 23 mm tyres and use the SKS Raceblades that I bought but have not yet fitted. People speak highly of them but I can't endorse them yet.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
The Kaffenback has a fair amount of clearance. I think it will take up to 38mm, though it's coming with 32s.

Correction - apparently 32c is max

stumpy66

Veteran
I have used both SKS (touring bike) and Crud raceguards (road bike) and would go with the SKS if you have the room, a lot more substantial. My experience with race guards were they lasted 3 outings, until they caught a twig on the road and disintegrated

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Tortecs if you've the room.

Thanks Greg I was looking at those and they have different size options. Think I'll get the bike then look.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Yep those are exactly the ones I'd decided on. Thanks.

Fitted the Tortec Reflectors to the Kaffenback. Rear no problem, just needs a small hole drilling through the guard because of where the frame mount hole is.

The front is more difficult because one fork has disc brake mounts which get in the way. I got it on but I think I'm gonna have to abandon the quick release clips and bend the metal slightly.

Good guards. Reduced in J E James to £25.

... every day is a winding road...

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Fitted the Tortec Reflectors to the Kaffenback. Rear no problem, just needs a small hole drilling through the guard because of where the frame mount hole is.

The front is more difficult because one fork has disc brake mounts which get in the way. I got it on but I think I'm gonna have to abandon the quick release clips and bend the metal slightly.

Good guards. Reduced in J E James to £25.

Top Bottom