Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even if they fit, they lack a safety quick-release gizmo at the front. Plastic 'guards are so tough that a stick will catch in the metal stays and fold up the plastic into the fork crown. Once there the wheel stops, but you don't.
My SKS QR has activated twice.

As long as you have threaded eyelets, you can make bolt-on 'guards fit. You may have to bend the metal stays under or around the disk brake. My bike shop bent both of them under the brake. If your forks have a threaded eyelet halfway up the fork leg you can use that.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
As long as you have threaded eyelets, you can make bolt-on 'guards fit. You may have to bend the metal stays under or around the disk brake. My bike shop bent both of them under the brake. If your forks have a threaded eyelet halfway up the fork leg you can use that.
Thanks, I think I'll need to ask the bike shop to do this for me rather than order online and try myself.

Tom B

Guru
Even if they fit, they lack a safety quick-release gizmo at the front. Plastic 'guards are so tough that a stick will catch in the metal stays and fold up the plastic into the fork crown. Once there the wheel stops, but you don't.
My SKS QR has activated twice.

A very good point, mine have saved my/damage on a few occasions too.

I have sks chromoplastics and for the money they're great. Getting on for three years old pretty much daily use, showing no signs of damage or wear. Just spend the time making them fit.

I've put some Oxford copies on SWMBO'S bike and while they fit well they don't seem as well put together.

A very good point, mine have saved my/damage on a few occasions too.

I have sks chromoplastics and for the money they're great. Getting on for three years old pretty much daily use, showing no signs of damage or wear. Just spend the time making them fit.

r.

I agree. One of my bikes has silver ones - twice repaired with silver duct tape after mishaps but still fine. +1 to the wisdom of the quick release. I was on a ride a while ago with someone who had some snazzy metal guards (though as they were flat with no angle in suspect they were less effective than SKSs) and was somewhat shocked to see that they had no release.

Goggs

Guru
I once had a front Esge wrap up under the fork crown many years ago. I went straight over the handlebars & scraped my chin to the bone. Never again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My rear plastic bracket failed after the same length of time, fixed by typing the stays with the stays of the rack
Well by this stage several parts had failed, on two different bikes but by combining them I've managed to get one complete set and some spares....mi now need to order another set for this winter for the spare bike (currently with mountain bike tyres but they will be removed for winter.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Get the right SKS ones and you've years of happy clean shoes and back to look forward to. Just make sure you get the appropriate width for your tyres. It may be the photo you posted not looking right on my phone but those look more 700 than 26"

I once had a front Esge wrap up under the fork crown many years ago. I went straight over the handlebars & scraped my chin to the bone. Never again.
Yes. On one of my first ever jaunts on my bike when I got back into cycling about 20 years ago, the front mudguard seemed to pop off along a track. Damn cheap junk I thought, then realised that a twig had got caught in the wheel and the SKS could just be popped back on :smile:

Top Bottom