Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackcountrytone

hi everyone
I don't make many posts as i prefer to sit on the sidelines,however i ave been cycling now for around 18 months and decided to buy myself (out of my lump sum) a new bike.The one i have plumped for is a Cannonade CAADX-105 2017 model i should be picking it up some time this week.I am thinking of using a Toepeak M1 defender Front Mud Guard and also a Crud catcher on the down tube.Would anyone know if this would fit ok as i don't really want to use full mud guards if i can help it. I shall only be using the bike for wot i do now really i.e rides along the cut (canal) and some rides on the road when i fancy.
thank you
tone.

If you intend to fit mudguards then it is better to get a bike designed from the start to accept 'guards, with sufficient clearance and threaded eyelets. Same for rack fittings. You are not obliged to use threaded eyelets but the performance penalty of having them is close to zero.

si_c

Guru
Sounds like you'd like the SKS raceblades, they clip on and off really easily, so they are great on a road bike when you only need occasional coverage. http://www.wiggle.com/sks-raceblade-pro/

The mudguards you've mentioned would look very out of place on a road bike, and I think you would struggle with getting them to fit properly. I've had raceblades before, worth the money, and really easy to get them on or off. When using them for commuting in the rain I could put them on in under 2 minutes, and they come off even quicker. It takes a few minutes to get them setup properly the first time, but once you've done it once they're golden.

Crud racer is another option - they will do the trick for you.
As above though don't expect these to perform like a bike with dedicated guards - they will require frequent adjustment, and will rattle and maybe even break. That said I used cruds for a number of years - but a bike designed to take guards is god like in comparison

Theres always that ass saver device for very occasional showers

si_c

Guru
Crud racer is another option - they will do the trick for you.
As above though don't expect these to perform like a bike with dedicated guards - they will require frequent adjustment, and will rattle and maybe even break. That said I used cruds for a number of years - but a bike designed to take guards is god like in comparison
Theres always that ass saver device for very occasional showers

An ass saver may stop a bit of spray on your backside, but it won't stop your feet getting drenched from the spray from the front wheel. Properly setup the Raceblades don't rattle nor do they require frequent adjustment, I can't comment on the crud's as I've never had them.

The only downside of them compared to full length mudguards is that they don't protect your chainset and front derailleur, which can get mucky if you're riding for an extended period in poor conditions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Crud Roadracers are excellent on bikes with tight clearances and the front of the rear guard has an extended right side to protect your FD from grit. Spares are easily available. They are harder to fit with 25 mm tyres or bigger though mine work fine on my Roubaix with 25mm tyres but not my son's Tarmac, which has tighter clearances.

Look at the 5th comment down here from somebody with the same bike as you: http://road.cc/content/review/211501-crud-roadracer-mk3

Last edited:
Top Bottom