Mudguards.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So I joined a local cycling group last year.But never went out.They ride Sundays.I have rejoined this year and I intend to ride out next spring.They might have a mudguard policy.So I am asking what size mudguards does the 2010Specialized Secteur Elite need .I know they will be 700 but what mm.I have 700 x 25 tyre on.But I am not sure about clearance.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
If you don't have mudguard eyelets on the frame then I'd suggest something like the SKS Raceblade Pro mudguards - they aren't full coverage so won't stop your feet wet and do let the bike get dirty, but will cover the requirements of a club - i.e. keeping the person behind you dry and stopping your arse getting drenched.

They clip on and off quickly and easily too and clearance won't be an issue - I'd put some frame protector tape underneath though as it stops the mounts rubbing the paint off once they get gritty.

si_c

Guru
SKS Raceblades are ideal, mine came with some protective patches in the box to fit once you had them set up to suit your bike
So long since I got mine I can't remember - probably 5 or 6 years, still in near perfect condition. I put some standard tape on last time I fitted them up.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Raceblades will protect your own back, but won't do anything for anybody else.

I'd recommend using Axiom Axle-runners with proper mudguards (SKS P35 or whatever) if there are no frame eyelets. They mean you've got to take the skewer right out for a puncture, but hopefully that won't be frequent.
To keep spray out of the faces of your riding companions, you need a decent length of mudflap on the end of the rear mudguard, long enough to reach within 5 inches or so of the ground (doesn't need to be very wide).
DIY mudflaps are usually best, but RAW flaps are OK for the rear at least

dickyknees

Guru
Yes, the fiddly bit is lining up the clip in fittings on the axle when replacing the wheel.

But overall I have found them secure and effective. More importantly they don’t rattle.

weareHKR

I hate mudguards... 😐
I had no idea there were rules about mudguards!

If your bike does have eyelets then it is much better to fit SKS chromoplastic bolt on guards. They make a narrow one.
I think the secteur, like a lot of bikes, uses bolt on at the rear and clip on at the front. No such mudguard combo is available.

dickyknees

Guru
SKS Raceblade Long

livpoksoc

Guru
+1 for SKS race blades. I have a 2010 secteur elite, and the SKS.

The bike does have seat stay holes for a pannier rack/fixed mudguard but personally I'd go raceblades as you can move them to another bike if you have more than one roadie in the shed.

livpoksoc

Guru
Raceblades will protect your own back, but won't do anything for anybody else.

I'd recommend using Axiom Axle-runners with proper mudguards (SKS P35 or whatever) if there are no frame eyelets. They mean you've got to take the skewer right out for a puncture, but hopefully that won't be frequent.
To keep spray out of the faces of your riding companions, you need a decent length of mudflap on the end of the rear mudguard, long enough to reach within 5 inches or so of the ground (doesn't need to be very wide).
DIY mudflaps are usually best, but RAW flaps are OK for the rear at least
The chaps following me at the weekend didn't complain - though one of them was on a cx with no mudguards on himself. Suffice to say we let him have the wind protection for most of the ride.

Top Bottom