Mudguards.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another vote for these, but teamed with the Crud Roadracer Mk2 rear nose piece to give protection to the front mech & seat tube. A little bonus is that the little screw fits through the hole on the metal bracket that the Raceblade would clip to.
IMG_20201102_211800903.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The chaps following me at the weekend didn't complain - though one of them was on a cx with no mudguards on himself. Suffice to say we let him have the wind protection for most of the ride.
Generally, people won't complain unless they've got better mudguards than you.
Then you end up with a hierarchy when it's wet, with the best mudguards (i.e longest flaps) at the front, and the worst at the back (except when there's a headwind, of course).
The rule is that if you can see the tyre of the rider in front, you'll get water in the face (or cowshit, on the wrong road).

si_c

Guru
The rule is that if you can see the tyre of the rider in front, you'll get water in the face (or cowshit, on the wrong road).
Couple of guys I ride with from time to time have recently put mudguards on their bikes. I had a small bit of pleasure the other day riding my un-be-mudguarded bike down a wet path covered in very wet sheepshit. There was some muttering until I pointed out it was basically payback.

So I joined a local cycling group last year.But never went out.They ride Sundays.I have rejoined this year and I intend to ride out next spring.They might have a mudguard policy.So I am asking what size mudguards does the 2010Specialized Secteur Elite need .I know they will be 700 but what mm.I have 700 x 25 tyre on.But I am not sure about clearance.
Mudguards should be 10mm bigger than the tyres.
I did have a roadie type bike that developed issues with rear mounts (the end of my ally frame days) and fitted one of these on the back.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSZSRUR/zefal-swan-road-rear-mudguard

I think it looks quite nice and is easy to fit plus very stable. You will see that Planet X also sell it with a front.

I have no idea about the effectiveness of the front, nor whether either will meet the requirements of your group.

weareHKR

get a room.
Will do, thanks... :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for these, but teamed with the Crud Roadracer Mk2 rear nose piece to give protection to the front mech & seat tube. A little bonus is that the little screw fits through the hole on the metal bracket that the Raceblade would clip to.
View attachment 556148
might have to try that myself :smile:
I have crud mk 3s on the commuter but due to ridiculously dropped seatstays the gaurds sit high at the back and to far around the frame to put that extension on as the hole are to low .

Attachments

• carrera vanquish.jpg
    carrera vanquish.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 9

beastie

Guru
I have a 2010 Secteur with Crud Mk3 fitted on 25 mm tires. It’s very tight, but workable. I. bought it before realising how much better riding with l mudguards is in Cumbria. I now use the Secteur on dry days and the Croix de fer with full guards the rest

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I hate mudguards... 😐
I had no idea there were rules about mudguards!
When riding in a group it is polite not to splatter the other riders with crud.
Also it is not comfortable to have dirty muddy water running down the inside of your shorts/leggings.

Top Bottom