Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

Well, I am astonished about how much response there has been to my OP. Clearly the vast majority of commuters use full mudguards mostly all year round, but those that dont seem to be adamant that they are a waste of time.
It still confuses me that well respected brands like Decathlon advertise their flatbar road bikes as fast commuters, but dont even have eyelets for guards far less fitting them as standard. Why not??

You may have answered your own question. A lot of cyclists either don't mind or just don't want mudguards.

I imagine those bikes Decathlon bang out as 'fast commuters' are selling pretty well.

A lot of bike manufacturers don't bother to add eyelets to many of their bikes, although I see more this year than the year before - maybe our last few crappy winters have given big hints to the manufaturers that mudguards are quite useful in this country.

I can't say I have ever heard of anyone not buying a bike because it had eyelets, but I am aware of a few sales lost because the bike didn't have any.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mudguards are great and anyone who tells you otherwise has never been hit in the face by cow shoot sprayed up from the front wheel :biggrin:

+1
essential on my country lane commutes where i know the farmers walk the cows up the road for milking ....

When it does rain they are a godsend and i do think the crud ones look nice .

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
recently changed my bike to a hybrid which came with fully fitted mudguards, mahoosive long ones and the back even has a little rubber flap to stop spray.
previously on my old BSO i would get that wonderfully wet blackback sensation in the rain and a nice mouthful of manure every now and again as i cycle past the farms and horse tracks.
now i get none of that. rain goes down, dirt does not fly up.
way chuffed with that they really do make a huge difference!
pete

Holdsworth

Über Member
When I first began cycling on my racer I never had mudguards, mainly because of it lacking eyelets and having really tight clearances. I got sick of a wet arse and muck up my back during the ride to college so I fitted a set of MK2's. They worked well and lasted the winter, they did spoil the look of the bike but I didn't care as it was my only bike at the time and needed it for everything. They broke at the end of March after a mechanic at the Cheshire Cat start line snapped the rear whilst adjusting my brakes. I never bothered to refit them even though I ordered a new part for them. I kept the front on for convenience.

I found they rubbed a bit and wouldn't stay still on bumpy roads but they did their job. I now have a full touring bike that came ready fitted with a full guard at the front and a 3/4 one with a mudflap at the rear. They have done well so far on moist roads by keeping the muck off me, there is a light spray of mud on the downtube and my feet get a light spray from puddles but that is all. I can see them being a boon in the autumn and winter. I will keep the MK2's incase I ever want/need to fit them to the road bike again, for now it is stripped down and on the side for leisure and sportives while the tourer has taken over the role of everyday bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

A lot of bike manufacturers don't bother to add eyelets to many of their bikes, although I see more this year than the year before - maybe our last few crappy winters have given big hints to the manufaturers that mudguards are quite useful in this country.

I can't say I have ever heard of anyone not buying a bike because it had eyelets, but I am aware of a few sales lost because the bike didn't have any.

+1 on that, if I can't see how to get mudguards on a bike I'm looking to buy I'll take it off the shopping list.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Both bikes I usually commute on have guards, the mtb is for playing and getting muddy so that one doesn't :biggrin:

I've got a rural commute with added gravel courtesy of Cumbria Highways. I really do prefer to have a dry back and arse, and not to get stones and mud pinging up off of the front wheel. Also when I ran without the stones were damaging the paintwork. To be honest my black plastic guards make very little noise and aren't that obvious on the bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

No mudguards on the Fnrttc?
ohmy.gif

lulubel

Über Member
Even though I used mudguards when I was commuting, I don't like the look of them on a road bike. I finally got around to taking mine off a few days ago, and when OH asked what I was doing, I said, "Turning my tourer back into a road bike." I DO like the look of mudguards and racks and bar bags and all that stuff on serious tourers because I think it looks the part, but something that's built for speed needs to look stripped down for me.

It's all down to personal opinion, though, and also depends on whether you care about how your bike looks in the first place!

I do find the bike easier to clean without the mudguards on, although it's easy enough to take them off once a month in the winter to get at all those awkward places.

Top Bottom