Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Mudguards came in handy today. Monsoon weather in London this morning.
My mudguards meant that my clothes may have been wet on the way home, but at least they where not dirty ;)

Holdsworth

Über Member
Mudguards came in handy today. Monsoon weather in London this morning.
My mudguards meant that my clothes may have been wet on the way home, but at least they where not dirty ;)

I'll second that, there was some moderate rain first thing as I set off so I was glad to have full mudguards again. It stopped after a few minutes but the roads were quite damp for a few hours after.

Just the odd spray from puddles but I was kept rather clean, and so was the bike.

itsbruce

Lavender Bike Menace
My GCM doesn't really have clearance for mudguards. The Crud RoadRacer would probably just fit but wouldn't look right. I fitted a Rain Tail instead; looks a bit daft when in use, but really does work (has been thoroughly tested in the last week) and hides away when not needed.

5842211086_bb6f00654f_z.jpg

5841664821_b538838510_z.jpg

itsbruce

Lavender Bike Menace
Although, in those two pictures, it does look like a chameleon catching a fly on its tongue.

gregsid

Like others here, I've fitted roadracer mk2 crudcatchers. Really neat fitting on my wilier lavaredo. I only use my road bike in the dry but my mudguards protect me and the bike if I get "caught" in the rain. My other cycle is a trek soho. That's got full mudguards anyway. Looks kinda retro! I use that if I expect rain or if it's raining already. Riders with brown stripes up their bum and back look a little silly (and uncomfortable).

blockend

Full guards, mud flaps, lights, Brooks, Carradice. Urine, faeces, blood, oil and whatever body fluids and industrial run-offs the roads carry would be dribbling down my neck instead of the underside of my guards.

Farky

Loving the rain tail and as said above, it really does work. Here's mine:

RainTail.jpg

Raintail2.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
But it doesn't keep your legs and frame free from dirt from the roads.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I don't have mudguards because I don't mind getting my bum wet. If it's raining, you're going to get anyway. Overshoes, I would wear them next winter because I don't like wet feet.

My feeling exactly, my shoes don't dry out overnight and I hate having to put my feet in wet shoe (I never wear socks)

And very thankful for them I was 10 minutes ago. Heavy thundery shower.
Still got soaked of course, but I don't mind the stuff from the sky, it's the crap coming off the road and getting flung into my face off the front wheel xx(

Is there anyone here who does not use mudguards on their year round commute? If so, then why not? (other than "spoiling" the look of their best bike!)

Who commutes on their best bike?

I put some on my fixed, and I love them now. But would still go out in the wet for a singular ride - when commuting its the wet clothes for coming home that sucks.

But my rear has broken so it only covers the area behind the seat tube which is enough to stop your feet getting soaked - my bag is fine and ive lived with this for a while (beam rack in the winter deals with this further).

400bhp

Guru
Full SKS guards on the commuter all year. Keeps ass and feet dry. It rains in Manchester

+1 (Raceblade version)

Although I've had some trouble with the front one rubbing, as I must have bent it when it caught my foot once.

John90

Über Member
I don't use mudguards for aesthetic reasons and because I don't mind dealing with the water and crud. If I thought I was causing others a problem I probably would fit a rear guard, but I've never noticed a problem myself when following unguarded bikes.

Top Bottom