Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Salmon Mugaurds for me. There only 22 mm wide and the best looking gaurds out there in my opinion. Not easy to source though unless you wanna pay £60 + pp from France. Also there individually hand etched and stamped by the maker.

DSC_0240.JPG

D

Deleted member 1258

Salmon Mugaurds for me. There only 22 mm wide and the best looking gaurds out there in my opinion. Not easy to source though unless you wanna pay £60 + pp from France. Also there individually hand etched and stamped by the maker.

DSC_0240.JPG

They look a lot like the guards the lads around here were knocking up in their dinner breaks some years ago

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have 2 bikes. A good weather road bike and crappy weather hybrid (flat bar road bike) with full mud guards. I had to use my road bike which has no mud guards fitted on Friday for my commute as my hybrid is broken at the moment, I got caught in a heavy shower and got totally covered in sh1t because of having no guards. Totally essential IMHO unless you know the weather is great.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
18 miles this evening in crappy drizzle and rain - rear stays show signs of the 'outside'.
My clothes are soaked but still clean.

'nuff said.

Bit more than drizzle round my part of Notts! More like kayak weather. lol.

Roubaix Murry of this parish has a Trek hybrid as his commuter machine and we had it up on the works bike stand a whilte back to see why the front mech wouldn't shift. Turned out it was totally seized having been exposed to the spray of crud from the front wheel. He's got some 3/4-length 'guards fitted but they aren't long enough and lack the 'tourer flap' on the bottom of the front guard which cuts down a lot of the spray. My Tif came with full-length SKS Chromplastic guards as it was listed/sold an an Audax bike and it's thus very easy to keep clean due to the lack of caked-on road crap.
I'm busy amassing bits to turn my cheapie ali-framed MTB into a winter commuter and will 'amass' some 'guards for that too. I always used to laugh at lads at school who had racers with the tiny, pointless little ali guards (remember them?) fitted and the consequent brown streak up the jacksie. Would never commute without full guards, can't see the point.

I have full mudguards on my Dawes Karakum, I don't think I have ever had bike without mudguards.
someone said earlier about the road bikes with the short mudguards, I do remember them and I have to agree they were rubbish

Bman

Guru
I just use the plactic clip on ones on the front of my MTB. I only use it when I need to stop the spray going in my face.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Is there anyone here who does not use mudguards on their year round commute? If so, then why not? (other than "spoiling" the look of their best bike!)

Anybody worried about spoiling the look of the bike, should not ride. They should put in a picture frame and hang it up.

My two commuters wear full mudguards. My MTB wears a Crud Catcher on the downtube, the weekend bike wears no guards as I only ride in dry weather.

Anybody worried about spoiling the look of the bike, should not ride. They should put in a picture frame and hang it up.

My two commuters wear full mudguards. My MTB wears a Crud Catcher on the downtube, the weekend bike wears no guards as I only ride in dry weather.

Lol, worried about spoiling the look of the bike, but fine about having a big wet brown strip down their back
biggrin.gif

Farky

I've just bought a set of Crud Roadracer MK2's and due to me not having a back brake, they don't fit very well and to be honest, I'm having trouble getting the front to not rub on the tyre.

I have a Langster for the commute and was wondering if anyone else has one with mudguards and if so, which ones are you using.

p.s. I've only read the last page of this topic as I did a search so sorry if I've gone off-topic!

p.p.s. If anyone is in Sunbury or Kensington and would like a set of roadracers, let me know.

Davidc

Guru
All my bikes have had mudguards, all future ones will. The utility MTB ones aren't brilliant though.

Apart from keeping mud and cow poo off me and the bike they also help keep dust and stones down as well. I don't do much commuting now but did, and would have hated to arrive at work on a wet day covered in the filth the mudguards kept off me! I now use bikes as general transport and the same applies.

FWIW I've ridden a couple of hundred thousand miles with mudguards and never had any problems with them at all. Fit good ones properly and they should last the life of the bike with no further attention. Been the case on all my bikes anyway.

As well as the functional aspect bikes just look so much better with mudguards.

Top Bottom