multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you need it to do? What was the mechanical?
topeak, park, Lezyne well regarded

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've bought a few multi-tools over the years and I have found they usually have either more than you need (needless weight) or not enough (pointless in an emergency). I've usually had to add bits and bobs to make up a proper emergency kit for a specific bike. I've given up buying them.

I carry a number of short Allen keys (checked against the fasteners on the bike, possibly only two), a small adjustable spanner and a small ratchet screwdriver with several bits hidden in the handle. All tied together with a rubber band or in a small bag, with patch kit and/or spare tube and levers. That will take care of most issues by the roadside, and it doesn't take up much room or weigh a lot. Further away from home, I take more (cable ties, gaffer tape, pliers, chain tool etc) but this is outside multi-tool territory anyway.

TL;DR: commercial multi-tools are an educated guess at what most people on most bikes need and are unlikely to be a perfect fit. Cheaper and better to knit your own.

GoldenLamprey

I'm another using individual allen keys, plus a mini chain tool. 4mm and 5mm cover most things, plus usually something bigger for the saddle. Let's face it, they are mainly for tightening up a slipping stem, mudguard or saddle, not performing an overhaul at the side of the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crank Brothers 17 or 19. I've got the 17. Used it a few times, either my own bike or others. Recently was adjusting a little girl's bike as her brakes were dragging and mum looked desparate (she asked me to help) as the moaning from her daughter was ruining the ride. Also used to take a bent link off my chain mid ride.

I don't use it very often, but it's handy to have.

I used to use the Topeak Hexus II for years and it had everything I needed. Its still kicking around as its handy to have off the bike. I probably didn't need all the bits of the Hexus but I used them round the home when I cant find an individual hex key.

I am currently using a multitool from Birzman E15, as I ditch my saddlebag nowadays for most rides and I wanted something a wee bit smaller for the pocket. The Birdzman has got what I'd look for based on my use of the hexus apart from the two plastic tyre levers (Torx, Screw drivers, hexes and chain tool). The chain tool is also a single tyre lever but a metal one and I've never used it. The tool also has spoke wrenches built into it but I haven't used them either.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/birzman-e-version-15-mini-multi-tool/rp-prod172519

1607283544327.jpeg

Last edited:

chris-suffolk

Had a Topeak Alien for many years now, and still has just about everything a modern bike needs, including a chain splitter. For it's size and weight it's a pretty good tool, but at up to £40 for the newer versions, may be too steep for some.

Tom B

Guru

I have one of those, bought it at Wadebridge when doing the camel trail and needed to adjust something. I've now got a collection of similar tools. Moral is you never have it when you need it.

In my "pack" I have the above set of Allen keys, a tiddly park tools chain tool, and a flat spoke key. They all fit in my zip up pack with a couple of bottles of co2, in innertube and some scabs. Pack is about the size of a first and goes in my bag/pocket it would fit under the seat if that's your thing.

I think that tools that do it all are a bit dear and do none of it well.

Top Bottom