multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I’m a sucker for anything Lezyne. Perfectly engineered ...

I used to have a Lezyne Powerdrive XL. After a few months it stopped working, but banging it would make it flicker into life. Took it to bits and found they use aluminum wires to connect the battery, these were not up to handling the vibration of a bike and broke where they were soldered on. Was exchanged under warranty no issues but the same thing happened. Sorted with new bit of high vibration flex for a few pennies from ebay. One of the modes also "changed" after a few weeks which i can only put down to a developing fault, this recurred too. I was really disappointed with it and thought that bit was very poorly engineered and it really put me off their other stuff as perhaps being engineering form over function. But yea, it looks great stuff.

I've had lots of mini tools and found them awkward to use. What do you need ? Allen keys ? Maybe a screwdriver for cleats ? Chain tool.

Much easier having them separate with the advantage that you can use them without having to hold all of the other tools at the same time. I'm sure it's cheaper too.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have one of those, bought it at Wadebridge when doing the camel trail and needed to adjust something. I've now got a collection of similar tools. Moral is you never have it when you need it.

In my "pack" I have the above set of Allen keys, a tiddly park tools chain tool, and a flat spoke key. They all fit in my zip up pack with a couple of bottles of co2, in innertube and some scabs. Pack is about the size of a first and goes in my bag/pocket it would fit under the seat if that's your thing.

I think that tools that do it all are a bit dear and do none of it well.

I've worn mine out.

Tom B

Guru
I've worn mine out.

With separate tools you can replace the worn bits!

Does anyone else take 3/4mm off the end of worn allen keys to freshen them up?
I've got some long Tee shaped keys that I have had for about 15years and are a bit shorter than they used to be.
I used to build flat pack furniture as a sideline so they've had some hammer.

My old Cooltool is useful for axle nuts. Also carry the Leatherman Mini, out of production full size pliers in half size package.

Top Bottom