Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A smidge over 18 miles. I did the Fleam Dyke section of the Roman Road and Fleam Dyke Walk, with an additional few miles home added on.

Fair Play! The Fragrant Mrs P and I did similar.

map3.png

postman

Legendary Member
First of all why does diy make more jobs than the one you start with ARGHHHHHHH.Then i broke three items today,first it was Mrs Postmand travel mug,i dropped the lid,which smashed the closing and opening slider button thing.Then i dropped my pill tower all plastic it fractured then i finished off the toilet seat,the brackets snapped,i found out they are only that plastic covered with silver paint sort of stuff.The heat must have made the hinges brittle they cracked at the weakest and narrowest point the screw holes.So a trip to Homebase for a stronger and better one without the cheap hinges.Oh and it floats down. to close.Must say the heat has made me grumpy today.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
The rain sent me indoors as I was trying to get the last of the pots planted up. I had hoped to finish yesterday but I had to spend quite a while pruning and trimming my forsythia because the neighbours at the back chopped off all the stems on one side and I found it leaning over badly from the uneven weight. They must have reached over at least 2 feet to reach the main stem which is where I found the cut marks.
I had to cut off a lot more than I would have liked to even it up. I know you have to prune after flowering is over but I wanted to finish the pots on the patio first.

MikeG

Guru
....... the neighbours at the back chopped off all the stems on one side and I found it leaning over badly from the uneven weight. They must have reached over at least 2 feet to reach the main stem which is where I found the cut marks............

Oooh, I might just be having a quiet little word with them about that, 'twere I in your shoes. They're allowed to trim to the boundary line, and no further (and they're obliged to return the prunings to you). But never mind that, it's just not a neighbourly thing to do. Suggest that they let you know next time and you'll prune it yourself, and if necessary you'll have to ask them not to prune past the boundary line. Neighbours. Sheesh. Thank goodness I don't have any any more.

MikeG

Guru
First of all why does diy make more jobs than the one you start with ARGHHHHHHH.Then i broke three items today,first it was Mrs Postmand travel mug,i dropped the lid,which smashed the closing and opening slider button thing.Then i dropped my pill tower all plastic it fractured then i finished off the toilet seat,the brackets snapped,i found out they are only that plastic covered with silver paint sort of stuff.The heat must have made the hinges brittle they cracked at the weakest and narrowest point the screw holes.So a trip to Homebase for a stronger and better one without the cheap hinges.Oh and it floats down. to close.Must say the heat has made me grumpy today.

So you weren't chopping out a mortice in a piece of oak destined for a mirror in your bathroom, when through tiredness/ stupidity the oak fell over allowing the razor sharp chisel to take a chunk out of your thumb? No? Why do I ask?............no reason, just wondering, you know.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I had to have a word with my neighbour where I used to live, after she climbed over the fence and cut my shrubs back to a foot or so inside the boundary on my side without asking me first, what a cheek!

Oooh, I might just be having a quiet little word with them about that, 'twere I in your shoes. They're allowed to trim to the boundary line, and no further (and they're obliged to return the prunings to you). But never mind that, it's just not a neighbourly thing to do. Suggest that they let you know next time and you'll prune it yourself, and if necessary you'll have to ask them not to prune past the boundary line. Neighbours. Sheesh. Thank goodness I don't have any any more.

I will say something. They were keeping well away from the fence yesterday but they can't stay out of conversation reach for ever. They will have seen me working on the forsythia from their kitchen.

postman

Legendary Member
So you weren't chopping out a mortice in a piece of oak destined for a mirror in your bathroom, when through tiredness/ stupidity the oak fell over allowing the razor sharp chisel to take a chunk out of your thumb? No? Why do I ask?............no reason, just wondering, you know.

Brilliant it reminds me of my Son.His first night at his Uni accom.His first food on his own was a sarnie.With his new knives he managed to slice in to his thumb,deep enough to need stitches.The Uni medical centre sent him via a car to a Manchester Hospital,he had no idea where he was,he phoned us we drove Leeds to Manchester picked him up and took him back to his accom.Three days i worried about him looking after himself,now two years later he is brilliant and can cook a real fine meal.

Went to Cambridge today. Insurance company bollixed up the car insurance payment, causing it to expire. Wanted to speak to someone face to face (just easier, sometimes) so it was "on yer bike".

Bike to Ely, train to Cambridge North with bike, then bike to where I needed to go. Chap on the desk couldn't sort it out - the chap who could was in a meeting. OK, couple of hours to kill, so back on bike to Grafton Centre. Food court closed for redevelopment, Decathlon didn't have what I wanted. Back to insurance place, got sorted out no problems. Then back into town for food (fancied a McDonalds) and a bit of a bimble. Passed on the promised-to-myself ice cream (queue too long). Then back to Cambridge North. Trains delayed because of timetable probs. Eventually, train back to Ely and then ride home.

That totalled up to about 22 miles. Am totally kaputniked.

Cycling in Cambridge is a blast though, but all this stoppy-starty urban cycling type stuff kind of takes it out on one's kneesies.

Top Bottom