Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Cool calm start, sadly i have to take the van as i need to buy some plumb slate and a few plants for the tidy up at work entrance.

Soon be the nice frosty jan feb mornings, ill be biking then, sod scraping windows;)

I had to scrape the car this morning too....thankfully when I wake up, I have an Alexa which shows me temperature so I could allow more time to defrost my beast haha

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
first world problems, tell them to burn off that energy helping the homeless? Yeah i know

EXACTLY....It's only because they are in a boring routine now and they have to actually go home and socialize with their families :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MikeG

Guru
I actually did a training sesson on unblocking a drain with a client once. I had to cancel another session to do it because otherwise he'd have no bog for the next 24h.....

I've just been in the Peak District, looking at a new project with a client/ friend.......and it's sort-of got the reverse (or inverse) problem. It's a cottage built into the side of a hill, and during a couple of days poking around it, I managed to find a river running directly underneath it. When I say running, I mean gushing faster than a firehose. Absolutely p...p..pp...persisting along just a few inches below the floor. Anyone walking in on us at one stage would have found us lying on the floor with ears pressed to the stone, trying to listen for the line of the flow. Later, I could be found at the bottom of a Secret Seven-type hidden tunnel in the garden watching for food colouring around a Victorian hydraulic ram (not working). He's not bought a house; he's bought a bridge. The poor chap didn't sleep very well for a couple of days.

perplexed

Guru
I've just been in the Peak District, looking at a new project with a client/ friend.......and it's sort-of got the reverse (or inverse) problem. It's a cottage built into the side of a hill, and during a couple of days poking around it, I managed to find a river running directly underneath it. When I say running, I mean gushing faster than a firehose. Absolutely p...p..pp...persisting along just a few inches below the floor. Anyone walking in on us at one stage would have found us lying on the floor with ears pressed to the stone, trying to listen for the line of the flow. Later, I could be found at the bottom of a Secret Seven-type hidden tunnel in the garden watching for food colouring around a Victorian hydraulic ram (not working). He's not bought a house; he's bought a bridge. The poor chap didn't sleep very well for a couple of days.

In the late 1970s and early 80s, the house I lived in had a stream under the cellar.

If you went down there and lifted one of the stone flags of the floor, you could see it running a foot or so below.

Could your client make a feature of it? Replace a section of the floor with that heavy duty glass and have some clever lighting to feature the water?

Sorted! :smile: I seem to remember some woman saying that there will be no "U turn!" :eek: Well that was where it was! :ohmy: Lamb fat solidified in the U

bend! :ohmy:

On the other hand, you know the loo will flush...

MikeG

Guru
In the late 1970s and early 80s, the house I lived in had a stream under the cellar.

If you went down there and lifted one of the stone flags of the floor, you could see it running a foot or so below.

Could your client make a feature of it? Replace a section of the floor with that heavy duty glass and have some clever lighting to feature the water?

We can re-route it, as my client owns the land all around. It flows in a culvert through the field above the house, so we'll almost certainly put in a chamber to intercept it there, take it around the building, and discharge into the spring-head below the house which everyone previously thought was just ground water arising at a place where impermeable strata was capped by clay.

There's an argument for leaving the water as is, (it's been there for 250 years), but the house has damp issues, it needs lining for radon, and, frankly, I'm just uncomfortable with water so close to any structure. If it finds a way out of the channel it could undermine the structure fairly rapidly. So we'll shift it, I think.

Last edited:
Lucky chap! From memory this one cost $1m in the 1930s

Top Bottom