Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I now have a very nice hot :cuppa:

Tesco's "Finest" English Breakfast fyi.
I've just had a pot of Tesco's original loose leaf tea. Second pot of the day.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Most times, to be fair. It's the brew of choice here chez Casa Reynard - similar to the Twinings one in the yellow box, but nicer. And cheaper.

There are other teas in the cupboard to choose from, should I be so inclined.

I think I’ll put the kettle on.

I do have loose tea as well. Use one of those single mug infusers most times.

After dad passed away, I cleared out some stuff, and found a job lot of loose tea in catering-sized tins. That I had to open with a can opener. Labels all gone so no idea what it is, but the stuff is eminently drinkable. It is very robust though, so you don't want to let it steep for too long.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ah... Bread-in-a-hurry...

Have you tried a long, cold prove? Some thinking ahead needed (and less yeast - about 3 grammes / half a teaspoon), but you get a loaf that's so much more flavoursome.

No not tried that. How long is the cold prove? How many grams of flour for 3grams of yeast?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No, I cannot Like this post. No post with the word ‘snow’ in it can be Liked with only one exception: ‘It’s not going to snow again. Ever.’

PS Please do NOT send any snow in this direction. :cold:
It's snowing a bit more now..

DSC_0495.JPG

:laugh:

No not tried that. How long is the cold prove? How many grams of flour for 3grams of yeast?

I watch the dough, not the clock. So it depends really - can be anything between 12 and 18 hours. Temperature and atmospheric conditions can make a fair bit of difference. Overnight proof usually goes in the fridge (summer) or unheated hallway (winter).

600g flour, 360g water, 12g salt, 3g dried active yeast, 2 tbsp oil

Usually, I take 100g of the flour and 100g of the water from the above, add a small pinch of yeast and do an overnight pre-ferment prior to making the dough.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I watch the dough, not the clock. So it depends really - can be anything between 12 and 18 hours. Temperature and atmospheric conditions can make a fair bit of difference. Overnight proof usually goes in the fridge (summer) or unheated hallway (winter).

600g flour, 360g water, 12g salt, 3g dried active yeast, 2 tbsp oil

Usually, I take 100g of the flour and 100g of the water from the above, add a small pinch of yeast and do an overnight pre-ferment prior to making the dough.

Ok, I might give that a go next time.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It gives a really nice french-style loaf with a good crust and a tender crumb.

Should have also said, 45 mins in the oven. Though I bake my bread in a clay pot as I can't steam my oven, so 25 mins at 220C with the lid on, and then 20 mins at 200C with the lid off.

Ta.

postman

Legendary Member
So today was the day we took the bike over to Manchester.Our son has bought a fixie.I took off all his bits from the kids bike.Lights,pump ,holder,lock ,lock bracket,and over we went.Putting the bike together was a breeze.But sadly at the end i found i had left his rear lamp bracket on his kids bike.No problems home unscrewed it,in a jiffy bag and down to the PO.Now it is just the bracket nothing heavy nothing big.But a staggering £3-45p in postage,i nearly fainted.Anyway snow began to fall outside and we decided to leave early,not getting chance to fine tune his saddle position or height and i knew his bars were too far pointing down,but hey what do i know.Well it dried up enough for him to have a little ride in his cul de sac.Well it seems little tweekes need doing,but he cannot undo the bolts i tightened,boy how strong am i.But we cannot go over for three weeks to sort it out.Oh the trials of being a parent.PS just something i did notice when he sat on it for,the first time.Those jeans with the ars hanging down behind the knees and all underpants showing well they got caught up on the saddle.He is going to need some proper jeans on .

fwe-bracket-for-fwe-3-led-front-light-black-EV215309-8500-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom