Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not far off the construction specifications as I recall, bus on a flat car, designed for ten years of service. In 1984.

I waited for years for Hornby to bring out their model as a child: I'll go out on a limb here and say I quite liked the 142's , but then I didn't have to commute on one for the last 30 years...
Recently travelled on the same one I used when they came into use in 1982. Plastic seating having been "upgraded" over the years.

They currently only have four running, out of 93, on driver familiarisation runs. One "broke down" just outside Leeds station. But until they fix the brake problem, they'll not be running them all.

Are these supposed to finally replace the Nodding Donkeys? What class number were they allocated?

I think when they scrap the Pacers they'll drop them on one corner like a cheap IKEA cupboard and they'll fold up themselves.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Are these supposed to finally replace the Nodding Donkeys? What class number were they allocated?

I think when they scrap the Pacers they'll drop them on one corner like a cheap IKEA cupboard and they'll fold up themselves.
These new ones are supposed to replace them, what their class number is I'm not certain. Possibly 769's, of which there's a video on the link below of one in action.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...gwr-if-the-class-769-flex-fails.166643/page-8

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It's finally gone quiet here.

I'm going to give it another 1/2 hour to cool down a bit more and then pop out for a ride to Ipswich & back followed by a shower and an ice cream
Doesn't your ice cream melt quickly in the shower? Plus, a soggy cornet? Bleurgh xx(

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nay lad, the old ones still work. And will be upto 2024.

It's their replacements that have a few problems. They've been built in Spain for a German company, tested in the Czech Republic, to run in England. On a service owned by a German company.
Talgos, over here, have had a checkered past. Didn't work out so well first go round in the 50s-60s, but now seem to be doing a good job in the Northwest.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here's what happened when we took bus bodies on to the rails, the "Jet Rocket" of the Rock Island Railroad, developed by GM to dissuade railroad ridership.
th?id=OIP.jpg

Someone elses picture, but looks like Peoria. My Dad rode it a few times. Had a buffet/Lounge with a bar. Not bad for a hundred miles and change trip, but I heard longer sojourns were more problematic. Actually, unlike the GM Aerotrain, this had Talgo bodies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom