Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Brown & silver bins are out. Question is, who will be the first to notice that bin has been emptied. Two households hold their breath to see who will bring the bins in.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1st production facility outside of the States and at one point the most profitable Cat plant in the world when they started making the 'Telehandler' there.

One of my best mates worked there for years until he decided to go off 'travelling' and spent a year in Australia/New Zealand, when he came back to England he rang them up to find out if they were hiring only to be told by HR that he'd have to apply through the Employment Agency (as he had done when he'd first got the job there) So he duly rang them and was given a start the next week so Graham turned up on the Monday, at lunchtime one of the American bosses spotted him in the Cafeteria and asked what he was doing there so Graham told him he was back from his travels and working for the Agency "No you're not" the guy said "come with me", naturally Graham was a bit worried by this but the bloke took him to HR and told them "Put this guy back on the staff now" turned round and shook Graham's hand and said "Welcome back"
That's pretty nice. Used to be, between Keystone (Red Brand Fence, etc. ) and Caterpillar, those were Peorias' two great places to work in manufacturing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's pretty nice. Used to be, between Keystone (Red Brand Fence, etc. ) and Caterpillar, those were Peorias' two great places to work in manufacturing.
He get's a decent pension from them now he's retired, he went to live in the 'Northern Territories' of Australia, not heard anything from him for a bit but he looks happy up there (or is it down there.)

RCQ_24-07-2015_ROP_04_EME200715GemmiesArtists1_ct1880x930.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
He get's a decent pension from them now he's retired, he went to live in the 'Northern Territories' of Australia, not heard anything from him for a bit but he looks happy up there (or is it down there.)

View attachment 477105
Yes around here, they are a union shop, United Auto Workers, and between the Caterpillar and the UAW, they look after all the pensioners well. UAW has a retiree high rise in Pekin, one of my aunts lived there. Problem is nowadays is that every kid who graduates high school and can't get into college wants to work at Caterpillar, and the jobs just aren't there anymore. Present administration in D.C. hasn't helped much, as you can sell a lot of construction equipment to China.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Just called the garage - our Fiat Panda flew through the MOT with flying colours :becool::becool::becool::becool:

Still feeling grotty, but to take my mind off it, I spent the morning in the garage and fixed and then reassembled the mower's cutting deck. Mirabille, I don't have any leftover bits. :laugh:

Later I will fix the deck back on the mower. I have a plan involving a broom handle and blocks of wood to elevate the deck off the ground so I can put the hanger bolts back in.

But first, sat here watching the TdF.

It is so much cooler here today. :wahhey:

Top Bottom