Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm taking a break from applications for a bit. We're off for the next few days to a place near near Giengen an der Brenz, famous for being the home of the Steiff Teddy Bar, so I guess that's one days outing already decided.

The plan today is to catch the train to Aalen, change for Giengen then cycle from the station to where we'll be staying, which is about 4 km away. Elder and Middle Son would like to ride a bit further so we may get off a station or two earlier and ride for about 10k total. A suggestion we ride from Aalen (40k) was vetoed fairly quickly on the basis it is hot and they haven't ridden with loaded bikes before: we're taking this slowly as I want them to have a positive experience.

One disadvantage of having work bikes is that we don't own any cycling bags (why bother when you can chuck everything into the Bakfiets/Xttracycle?) Last night we were organising everything into backpacks and suddenly realised some local friends have been cycle touring as a family before and have panniers enough for all. After a quick phone call The Elder and Middle Son and I legged it off to pick them up. Now everyone is carrying their stuff on the bike instead of on their back which you'll appreciate makes a big difference.

I'm taking it very slowly here. It's important that things run as smoothly as possible as I'd really like us to ride a bit more together in the future. The older lads learned this year what they are capable of so double figures don't faze them any more but Beautiful Wife and Younger Son still get nervous if they have to do more than a couple of K's or there is a hill in sight, so I'd like this to be a good experience for them.

Also we discovered yesterday that Middle Son has left his lock at a friends house so we only have two locks between us for five bikes...

Have fun xxx

We get those over Cambridgeshire, sometimes right over P'boro, a pair usually, ironically going really slow, almost hanging in the air, one making tight turns, the other shadowing maybe 1/2 mile behind, both going slow but engines roaring, very loud even at the altitude they're at.
I love it...some people dont inevitably.

Don't get those these far east, but we do get the F18 Eagles from Mildenhall / Lakenheath.

gbb

Legendary Member
Don't get those these far east, but we do get the F18 Eagles from Mildenhall / Lakenheath.
Doh, its possible its F18s i'm seeing then. :laugh: They are very high and not really clear to pick out details...so it may be F18s

Doh, its possible its F18s i'm seeing then. :laugh: They are very high and not really clear to pick out details...so it may be F18s
Sorry to be pedantic but Eagles are F15 's and F18's are Hornets. Both have twin rudders . The main difference for identification are the wings and nose. The Hornet has smaller wings and a longer slimmer nose, a bit like an X wing fighter from Star Wars .

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry to be pedantic but Eagles are F15 's and F18's are Hornets. Both have twin rudders . The main difference for identification are the wings and nose. The Hornet has smaller wings and a longer slimmer nose, a bit like an X wing fighter from Star Wars .
They're twin tail design, not twin rudder.
images.jpg

images.png

&
images-5.jpg

No tail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom