Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The heavens have opened

I went to Castle Combe circuit last night for an evening ride. I did 5 laps which is about 9.25 miles. There were lots of riders there going round and round, many of which were going very fast.
Some were making strange noises which I find hard to explain! Riders wearing lycra on an aerodynamic bike making a noise like they had a tooth belt drive! :wacko:
I chatted to one chap when I arrived to ask what to do and he explained things . He started last week, he caught up with me later to ask how I was getting on . Apart from him and another rider warning of broken glass on the circuit no one spoke.
It was nice to be able to ride round my local circuit but it was in the wrong direction. :wacko: After 5 laps I decided I had had enough and went home for tea.

D

Deleted member 1258

I went to Castle Combe circuit last night for an evening ride. I did 5 laps which is about 9.25 miles. There were lots of riders there going round and round, many of which were going very fast.
Some were making strange noises which I find hard to explain! Riders wearing lycra on an aerodynamic bike making a noise like they had a tooth belt drive! :wacko:
I chatted to one chap when I arrived to ask what to do and he explained things . He started last week, he caught up with me later to ask how I was getting on . Apart from him and another rider warning of broken glass on the circuit no one spoke.
It was nice to be able to ride round my local circuit but it was in the wrong direction. :wacko: After 5 laps I decided I had had enough and went home for tea.

I think I'd get very bored lapping a circuit, they did something similar near me a while back, at the Mallory Park circuit.

I think I'd get very bored lapping a circuit, they did something similar near me a while back, at the Mallory Park circuit.
To be honest I can't remember much of the circuit apart from where the broken glass was. I think It would have brought back more memories and emotion if it was held in the correct direction. ( I went there a couple of times on a breakdown truck when I was an apprentice.)
On a normal ride I find lots of things to see, listen to birds singing, and stop to look at features in the landscape. I can't remember if I could see anything beyond the circuit . In the end it felt a bit like just sitting at home on an exercise bike .

D

Deleted member 26715

They still do it at Mallory, it's a safe location for training rides.
Mallory is a bit flat & boring though isn't it?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've done trackdays there & don't remember any change in elevation, but I suppose over 100mph you tend to miss these things :laugh:

Especially if you went after the mid 80s when they stuck the 'Bus stop' chicane in to slow riders into the 'Elbow', the old 1 mile Horse Track Oval. is flat but there is quite a short climb/descent tacked on to one corner.

View: https://youtu.be/0LnNP7mw7XY

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Anything like this,

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZB2xFblWk

or were they electric?

No, something more like this:
Bed-Parade_Glen-Arbor_Black-Friday_2017-e1535050285739.jpg

Only with an engine, and steering wheel.
This is in Glen Lake/Glen Arbor, near Traverse City Mi, and from their website.

Last edited:
Top Bottom