Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Veteran
The BBC has been showing trailers for "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. I have not read any of his books, and do not usually watch this genre of programme. Has anyone else read the book? Is there a plot, or is it very similar to Harry Potter? By which I mean that Harry Potter and his chums appear in films with a lot of special effects, that might, or might not, in my opinion make a good storyline.
The books, three of them, make for compelling reading. They're nothing like Harry Potter; in fact they're really like nothing else I have read. A really good tale, but one that has you "thinking" the whole time. Supposed to be a children's' series of books, but they're for all ages. An understanding of quantum physics is not essential but would help!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Galette du Roi...

Forgive me (mind, it is 1 am here) but I fail to see the connection between a cake traditionally served on 12th Night and Shrove Tuesday celebrations... :scratch:
Galette du Roi determines who has to host the Shrove Tuesday celebrations. The Feve, or Bebe is the little figurine which takes the place of the bean, so it determines who is the Lord of Misrule. Or King of the Mardi Gras. There is no pea, the Queen of Misrule is also the spouse of the King. Very little done around here for Mardi Gras, just a pancake supper at church. No parade, sometimes beads, which is odd, because my part of the prairie is pretty Catholic.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Beignets are fritters - totally different ball game... :whistle:

Apple fritters, usually...
Oh, please, leave apples out of this. Maybe bananas, but not apples. Choux pastry, fried, covered in powdered sugar, and served immediately. Apple fritters in the States are ghastly. Except at Tanners' Orchard, near Peoria, Illinois. Apple and Pumpkin doughniuts are good there as well, and there is an Eroica type ride from Chillicothe Illinois, to the orchard in Speer, every September

Galette du Roi determines who has to host the Shrove Tuesday celebrations. The Feve, or Bebe is the little figurine which takes the place of the bean, so it determines who is the Lord of Misrule. Or King of the Mardi Gras. There is no pea, the Queen of Misrule is also the spouse of the King. Very little done around here for Mardi Gras, just a pancake supper at church. No parade, sometimes beads, which is odd, because my part of the prairie is pretty Catholic.

Trust americans to make a total weird mash-up of ancient european traditions... :headshake: The Lord of Misrule is purely a 12th Night thing - nowt to do with Shrove Tuesday at all.

Hate to think what you lot would do with wassailing... :scratch:

well I managed to get a tablet into sox the cat earlier, now its almost time for his liquid pain relief, just mix it with his food the vet said ……………………..hmmm ,somehow I cant see it being that easy:blink:

is it Metacam?

If so, you can just squirt that into his mouth just prior to food time. Use similar method to pilling. Saves you scraping food + meds into the bin. DAMHIKT... :rolleyes:

Apple fritters, usually...
Oh, please, leave apples out of this. Maybe bananas, but not apples. Choux pastry, fried, covered in powdered sugar, and served immediately. Apple fritters in the States are ghastly. Except at Tanners' Orchard, near Peoria, Illinois. Apple and Pumpkin doughnuts are good there as well, and there is an Eroica type ride from Chillicothe Illinois, to the orchard in Speer, every September

Mmmmm, home made apple fritters... :hungry:

Though they rest so much on the quality and variety of apple. You want fruit that keeps its shape when cooked but isn't too woody, and you want a flavour that's not too sharp. Something like a Jonagold or a Cox's Orange Pippin.

Speaking of apples, I went to pick some in the community orchard this afternoon. Noticed there were still loads left when I went for a walk yesterday while waiting for the garage to do the car's MOT.

It's such a shame to see the fruit simply rotting because no one wants it. People only seem to be interested in the ready-to-use eating apples.

There's a medlar tree as well but the fruit isn't ready to pick just yet.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I could see a Coxs' Pippin. That would be okay. Fritters over here are vile, IMHO. But that sounds good. I may have to make my own.
Listening to Lyapunovs' Solemn Overture on Russian themes on the new speakers. I ned more volume. I may need to preamp. I think I will tear down the whole computer system and reconfigure. Which means redoing the living room as well, pretty much.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Speaking of apples, I went to pick some in the community orchard this afternoon. Noticed there were still loads left when I went for a walk yesterday while waiting for the garage to do the car's MOT.

It's such a shame to see the fruit simply rotting because no one wants it. People only seem to be interested in the ready-to-use eating apples.

There's a medlar tree as well but the fruit isn't ready to pick just yet.
I just have to go to the berm at the edge of my subdivision. I also have a dehydrator for preservation.

Top Bottom