Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering how you managed to get the pan scrapings, that's all.

With a silicone spatula :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I ordered a globe for Lady Slowmotion on 7th December as a Christmas present. The vendor was a German company. Time passed, it didn't arrive in time for Christmas, and the vendor didn't seem to be very interested in telling me what was going on. Forty eight days after they had taken my money , they sent a tracking note showing that the parcel had been delivered to the shop over the road on Christmas Eve. Quite why they took a month to tell me I will never know. Anyway, I picked it up this afternoon and gave it to my wife. It's a very fine globe. We howled with laughter when we saw that all the place names were in German.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 3
As in it's gone, there is none left.

I do believe you have it surrounded, Mister Morden...

:crazy:

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I ordered a globe for Lady Slowmotion on 7th December as a Christmas present. The vendor was a German company. Time passed, it didn't arrive in time for Christmas, and the vendor didn't seem to be very interested in telling me what was going on. Forty eight days after they had taken my money , they sent a tracking note showing that the parcel had been delivered to the shop over the road on Christmas Eve. Quite why they took a month to tell me I will never know. Anyway, I picked it up this afternoon and gave it to my wife. It's a very fine globe. We howled with laughter when we saw that all the place names were in German.
Greetings from Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika. I am just north of Springfield, about 100 kliks.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I have a question for peeps on here who order items from USA. Much as I like sewing, I like to occasionally buy clothes that are unusual and supporting people in the textile industry. In this case it is fairly traded and from Nepal.

If I ordered this item https://store.greatergood.com/colle...ucts/46397-flowering-vines-fleece-wrap-jacket

What sort of import taxes will I pay? Or how do I find out please? Better still how do I find a UK supplier?
Bit of a late reply and the figures aren't exact, but here goes (this may be a bit boring for some, but it used to be my bread & butter)

Take the purchase price of $40 and add on the shipping cost ($10?) = $50 and convert that to GBP at around $1.28 to the £ = £39 delivered. You will therefore pay 12% import duty on the £39 = £4.68. On top of that VAT is charged on the delivered value and duty which is 20% of £43.68 which is £8.73. Finally the shipping company (UPS/DHL, etc) will slap a fee on top for completing the Customs declaration of around £8 - £10

In total therefore you will pay £39 (inc. delivery) for the top, £4.68 duty & £8.73 VAT = £52.41 plus the £8 - £10 handling fee which means your $40 top could end up costing you around £60 by the time it lands on your doorstep. Don't expect the parcel to be marked as a gift or declared with a low value (under $15) so you won't have to pay the duty/VAT/handling fee as the US imposes strict penalties on shippers who falsify values.

The worst thing is I remember this sort of thing and still know more about it than most of the HMRC people that do it on a daily basis!

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Bit of a late reply and the figures aren't exact, but here goes (this may be a bit boring for some, but it used to be my bread & butter)

Take the purchase price of $40 and add on the shipping cost ($10?) = $50 and convert that to GBP at around $1.28 to the £ = £39 delivered. You will therefore pay 12% import duty on the £39 = £4.68. On top of that VAT is charged on the delivered value and duty which is 20% of £43.68 which is £8.73. Finally the shipping company (UPS/DHL, etc) will slap a fee on top for completing the Customs declaration of around £8 - £10

In total therefore you will pay £39 (inc. delivery) for the top, £4.68 duty & £8.73 VAT = £52.41 plus the £8 - £10 handling fee which means your $40 top could end up costing you around £60 by the time it lands on your doorstep. Don't expect the parcel to be marked as a gift or declared with a low value (under $15) so you won't have to pay the duty/VAT/handling fee as the US imposes strict penalties on shippers who falsify values.

The worst thing is I remember this sort of thing and still know more about it than most of the HMRC people that do it on a daily basis!

Thank you for those calculations. You have confirmed my suspicions, and It does rather rule it out, if I have to pay so much for delivery.

The sewing patterns that I have ordered have a low value and were sent "printed paper rate" so not too bad in extra shipping costs.

Top Bottom