Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My plan to get out of some DIY has backfired, as you may or may not know we live in an ex-Council 'concrete' house (cast in situ) and drilling holes in the wall is a problem. I'd always said that I needed an SDS drill to mount anything to the walls and that my 700w Bosch drill wasn't up to it (it isn't)

Well today Maz went off to B&Q to get some horticultural grit in order to pot up a couple of plants that need good drainage but they'd sold out so in order for it not to be a 'wasted trip' she remembered what I'd said last year to get out of doing something and not only that even remembered the drill I'd picked to be able to do it (it was too expensive then)
Unfortunately it's on 'sale' in B&Q now at £67 so I'm now the reluctant proud owner of a MAC Allister 1500w SDS drill. :ohmy: :rolleyes:

pawl

Legendary Member
Well done, that lady next door! I'm sure we'll all join you in wishing her a happy birthday.

Meanwhile, I've just removed a pair of socks from the couch. By my calculations, they've been lying there since 14:25 on 22 May. I know this because I'd taken them off for my last turbo session (SPD sandals) and technology appears to have recorded the time. An inspection of my laundry basket indicates that this was the last time I wore socks.

Mrs P put a pair of my cycling socks in with the washing.Took the washing out or the machine only one sock .

Checked every ware no sock. Found it this morning when I put my short sleeve top on hiding in the sleeve..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Scanning slides from my trip round the world 2000-2002. This one is from July 2001. Might need some slight colour correction but this is the original scan of a 19 year old slide.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My plan to get out of some DIY has backfired, as you may or may not know we live in an ex-Council 'concrete' house (cast in situ) and drilling holes in the wall is a problem. I'd always said that I needed an SDS drill to mount anything to the walls and that my 700w Bosch drill wasn't up to it (it isn't)

Well today Maz went off to B&Q to get some horticultural grit in order to pot up a couple of plants that need good drainage but they'd sold out so in order for it not to be a 'wasted trip' she remembered what I'd said last year to get out of doing something and not only that even remembered the drill I'd picked to be able to do it (it was too expensive then)
Unfortunately it's on 'sale' in B&Q now at £67 so I'm now the reluctant proud owner of a MAC Allister 1500w SDS drill. :ohmy: :rolleyes:

The bricks my house, front wall & garage, is made of are incredibly hard, most things seem to have been screwed into the mortar. Thankfully the guy who put the chimney up didn't do that. My Bosch Li powered drill just about managed to drill holes for the house number, but needed recharging at least once!

At some stage I'd like to put a pole for radio aerials, but I might have to hire something to make the holes.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
oh boy it's fun.Computer set up on a table in front of the bike.I have stopped in Long Marston 19 miles today.This is going to be a lot of fun.The virtual tour on the computer is fabulous.Great fun as i said.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The bricks my house, front wall & garage, is made of are incredibly hard, most things seem to have been screwed into the mortar. Thankfully the guy who put the chimney up didn't do that. My Bosch Li powered drill just about managed to drill holes for the house number, but needed recharging at least once!

At some stage I'd like to put a pole for radio aerials, but I might have to hire something to make the holes.
I've just redrilled some holes that failed to hold a hanging basket bracket cos my Bosch 700w hammer drill wouldn't drill deeper than an inch and a half despite being at it for ten minutes (hit a pebble)

Got the new drill set up with an 8mm bit and it went straight through the outer wall to the cavity. :becool: I've now got a couple of 4 inch screws holding the bracket up, they won't pull out in a hurry.

Time taken to drill, mere seconds. :notworthy: it does weigh a bloody ton though but on the whole seems like money well spent but time will tell.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just been to Pets at Home to get rabbit food.....
You are Daddy Warbucks & I claim my £5, how anybody can afford to shop there is beyond me, we needed some fish food our local pet shop was closed, it's such a cramped shop it wouldn't be safe to open, so we called in a Pets at Home, £32 they wanted for a 5L tub, I just walked back out. Went to Home Bargains or some such the next day, £7 for 5L tub, granted not branded but the fish have never complained.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You are Daddy Warbucks & I claim my £5, how anybody can afford to shop there is beyond me, we needed some fish food our local pet shop was closed, it's such a cramped shop it wouldn't be safe to open, so we called in a Pets at Home, £32 they wanted for a 5L tub, I just walked back out. Went to Home Bargains or some such the next day, £7 for 5L tub, granted not branded but the fish have never complained.
Carp would.

Top Bottom