Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I like to carry an item called a sillcock key with me. Opens faucets that have no handles, like on industrial buildings and office complexes.

You have to find the faucets first!

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
D

Deleted member 26715

Back in the 80's a house in the village of Cresswell in Derbyshire got hit by lightning I was working for BT at the time, we went into the house & the phone cable going up the stairs had melted & as it went over each step had blown out like a little explosion.

D

Deleted member 26715

Would there be a surge protector in the (relatively new) electricity control panel? I think it has an RCD in there.
In the early days of computers, the surge protector was in the :unsure: socket gang.
Again sorry to harp on about old BT days, but in the old old days, houses on the old country estates used to have fuses on the phone line just as they entered the house as a long drop wire run was susceptible to lightning strikes

tyred

Legendary Member
A thought occurred to me last night, as they sometimes do. Even in Hundred Acre Wood we have televisions.

When I was a very young owlet, in a thunderstorm, we used to turn the tv off, and unplug it. What has changed, if anything, cos peeps do not seem to do that these days?
If you use an outdoor aerial mounted on your roof I would consider it a good idea to unplug the TV or the aerial cable during a thunderstorm.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If you use an outdoor aerial mounted on your roof I would consider it a good idea to unplug the TV or the aerial cable during a thunderstorm.

There is an aerial, but it is not connected to the TV. My tv receives programmes from the internet.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
On a lighter note, I have just had three blueberry pancakes, for Brunch. I have been watching Micheal Mosley on Channel 4, and decided to purchase the recipe book. It is based on eating a "lower" carbohydrate diet, and the recipe book has some excellent ideas.
^_^
For the avoidance of doubt, each of the three pancakes contained more than three blueberries.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of good evenings of thunder here. Tuesday; it started as I was heading for bed and we had a spectacular show for over an hour with constantly flickering lightning and the thunderclaps merging into a continuous rumble.

Yesterday the first rumbles came as I was just finishing with fettling the Raleigh about 5pm. More storms rolled in a couple of hours later and it got dark enough that the streetlights came on an hour early. After my computer got zapped by a close strike it suddenly seemed quite a good idea to switch off and unplug everything.:shy: Fortunately the device has booted up with no apparent ill effects this morning. The light show we got was even more spectacular than the previous night as we had storm cells on three sides and again that continuous roar. It eased a bit by about 11pm but I got woken a few times by more thunder into the early hours.

It's been a while since we've had a session like that.

Top Bottom