Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My parents never had a fridge, the milk was delivered daily and kept in a bucket of cold water during the summer, I remember that at times the milk went off.

It's better to put it in a bowl of water with a wet cloth over it to evaporate the water. Add a fan blowing on the cloth for more coolth. But remember to keep topping up the water.

A thought occurred to me last night, as they sometimes do. Even in Hundred Acre Wood we have televisions.

When I was a very young owlet, in a thunderstorm, we used to turn the tv off, and unplug it. What has changed, if anything, cos peeps do not seem to do that these days?

Mostly it was unnecessary but there are occasional lightening strikes where TVs are seriously damaged. I've heard it said that you need to be careful with the unplugging as a serious voltage can build up on the lead in thundery conditions.

Again sorry to harp on about old BT days, but in the old old days, houses on the old country estates used to have fuses on the phone line just as they entered the house as a long drop wire run was susceptible to lightning strikes

Not just in country houses, but where there was overhead provision. When I was an apprentice, before the days of the telephone socket, there was a surge arrester and fuse in the box where the outside telephone cable was terminated, as well as at the exchange. That was dropped, together with the earth wire, when sockets were introduced.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
1597322618242.png
This sort of lightening is popular in certain estates around here.

Overcast, muggy and surprisingly cool here. But what, in Valen's Name, are these thunderstorms of which everyone else is speaking of? Not a sausage here. No rain either.

Spent the morning clipping back the hedge on both sides of the drive. Clippings have been shoved under said hedge.

Time for lunch shortly, after which I intend on spending the afternoon tinkering with the bike project, watching the snooker and working on a couple of art projects.

Sounds just like being at the seaside with all the gulls singing away outside. Better just check that the tide hasn't come in .

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Spent 35 minutes in a telephone queue this morning before speaking to a very nice operator about the broken fridge freezer. Now got to wait for the engineer to ring to arrange to come and fix it. Fortunately, the fridge freezer is still covered by its warranty as long as the issue is parts covered by said warranty. We shall see. The operator said they aim for it to be resolved in 48 hours, however due to the current pandemic and a backlog due to furlough, it may take longer.

Top Bottom