Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Today I not only went to Lidl and the post office, I also took the glass to recycling, and went to the local big DIY store and the charity shop.

In Stuttgart the nearest DIY store was several hilly kilometres away so I rarely went and when I did it was in the same spirit of an arctic expedition: organising supply dumps, food rations, and leaving coordinates with relatives. Here it's just through the village and over the river.

From the charity shop I now have a second mug in case someone comes to visit, and a total of three very nearly identical plates, which cost me almost 4€ in total, but I think a bit of extravagance is acceptable.

The organisation running the shop is there to help get long-term unemployed people back into work. They also run a furniture restoring workshop, bike shop, art gallery, cafe and for some reason a crazy golf course.

I wonder if they have vacancies for an occupational therapist?

Was the recycling half full or half empty?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Can't remember, but it did have a sign saying that we should only use the bins between 8am and 5pm, because they make a noise and annoy people living locally.

Firstly, I don't see that one working out.

Secondly, why is that rule never applied to motorways?
I suppose because noise is existential to the motorway. I know that railroads going through our town cannot use their horns. It is high speed rail, so the crossing gates cover the whole road on both sides, and the right of way is protected by eight foot high fence, so it is unnecessary to use horns. The freight railroads run high speed container trains all night through here, so I suppose it is a good ordinance.

Goodness me... The cycling was fricking *EPIC*

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I rode to the train station to see if the new coaches are in service yet. No. But I did get to see #154, a locomotive painted in the original Amtrak color scheme, on the point of The Texas Eagle, and a shiny Siemens Charger on the southbound 10 minutes later.I actually had to wear a coat. I am now sat down eating lunch, and for dessert, a Knopper, the official snack of CycleChat. They have opened a new Aldi in Bloomington, twice the size of our usual Aldi Sud. I may have to go and see that.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Goodness me... The cycling was fricking *EPIC*
Twas indeed.

Rösti, sauerkraut and bockwurst for an early tea. Rauchbier will have to wait for an hour or so. Bieruhr.

Is Rosti aiming for a podium place? Sauerkraut and Bockwurst are still trying to win the Green Jersey. I thought Rauchbier and Bieruhr would just about avoid the Lanterne Rouge.

Managed to get the electric motors working on the pedal car . It turned out to be the 3 way control switch which was faulty . I took it apart to clean it in the hope of getting to work, but when I tried it it wouldn't behave so I have ordered a rocker switch to replace it .
It has come a long way since I found it lying discarded in a stream by the side of the road . About a mile actually! :whistle:
So when the new switch arrives I will be able to put it back together and clean it . My grandson wanted to play in it today but I had to tell him that it was in bits as I was working on it . I think he will like the new features , engine starting sound, horn and being able to drive around and crash into things .
I think it has cost about £25 including battery fuses and switch .

Top Bottom