Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I wouldn't pay for the TV license just to get the wisdom of Haystack Head, either.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Slightly annoying and disheartening mundane day :sad:.

I was taking a group out to ride today through BC's Let's Ride (so they are members of the public plus I've never met them before) and with the Met Office forecasting very heavy rain I cancelled the ride (I didn't think anyone would turn up for what would turn out to be a very soggy ride).

Firstly, I sent a personal message explaining why I was cancelling the ride, then secondly, I cancelled the ride on the website which sends an automated message and email (I'll explain) to cancel the ride, and thirdly I re-created the ride to run the same time next week and sent out messages to those attending today to sign up before I offer it further afield. I did this approx. 2.5 hours before the ride was due to start.

Let's Ride has its own messaging system that complies with GDPR (I cannot see participants' email addresses). You send a message on the system and it forwards the message as an email to the recipient as well as keeping a message on the system they can read.

Later, I checked the website and I find a message from one of today's participants saying they were waiting in the car park :cry:. Upon some investigation, it turns out the website system hadn't sent out any emails to any of the participants and (I now discover) 4 out of 5 turned up! My fault for not checking they were happy riding in the rain: lesson learned. To be fair to myself, it wasn't until 7 AM that the Met Office updated the forecast to show heavy rain during the majority of the ride duration.

On contacting BC, it seems the website hasn't been sending any emails since Monday. They are working to repair it.

Now, I feel that I've already given a bad impression of myself. I know the technical issues were not my fault, but I feel that first impressions count for a lot and I don't want to put people off the programme, cycling with me on the programme or cycling in general. Silly I know, but disheartening all the same.

We will see how Friday's ride goes. And it will go ahead even if there is a monsoon and I have to swim 🌦🏊‍♂️

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You still have to have a tv license even if you don't have a tv....... Since you have devices capable of receiving and streaming signals.
Personally feel it should be, pay per view. Don't watch? don't have to pay as much/at all.
I agree. In the States, public media is supported by voluntary contribution. Mrs. GA is encouraged to support charity through payroll deduction, and we get streaming of PBS, etc, on home computer for $60 a year. The public radio station in Champaign is the last station playing symphonic music anywhere I can receive on standard set and antenna.

You still have to have a tv license even if you don't have a tv....... Since you have devices capable of receiving and streaming signals.
Personally feel it should be, pay per view. Don't watch? don't have to pay as much/at all.

Absolutely. it would provide instant feedback for the providers showing where their programmes are and are not popular so they can see where they need to up their game... actually, I begin to see why they resist the change...

Top Bottom