Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you been getting the shortbread out @Reynard?

I only ask because the fire department has just rushed past...

Not this time, but I have been prepping an apple crumble :laugh:

I watched that on the turbo trainer and it made me feel so sick I had to struggle to stay on the bike. The only news the commentator had at the end of the BBC transmission was that she was conscious and talking.

I didn't catch that as I toddled off to do stuff. Good to hear. :okay:

But it looks like something broke on the bike. That was one heck of a tankslapper - she almost caught it but ran out of road...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Rather nice soup I made today. Three small cooking apples, one large carrot, the coarse outer leaves from a savoy cabbage, some lentils plus a stock cube.
The apples I have in abundance as a neighbour planted a selection of fruit trees a few years ago. When she died the next person has some aversion to trees and cut then all down except for the cooking apples. There is always a good crop but she has no idea what to do with them so bags of windfalls get left out on the front wall and the fence between us for anyone to take as many as they want. Real shame about the other trees tho' as they were pears, plums and eating apples and produced good crops.
People are weird. Should have also mentioned a little sugar as the apples are a bit sour.

Last edited:
Rather nice soup I made today. Three small cooking apples, one large carrot, the coarse outer leaves from a savoy cabbage, some lentils plus a stock cube.
The apples I have in abundance as a neighbour planted a selection of fruit trees a few years ago. When she died the next person has some aversion to trees and cut then all down except for the cooking apples. There is always a good crop but she has no idea what to do with them so bags of windfalls get left out on the front wall and the fence between us for anyone to take as many as they want. Real shame about the other trees tho' as they were pears, plums and eating apples and produced good crops.
People are weird.

I've a bumper crop of Bramleys this year. I picked a load this arvo to make a big apple crumble. I've already made gingered apple jelly, and after the weekend, I'll be making apple & onion chutney. :hungry: The onions, I found lying in the verge when I was out on the bike.

In a little while, I'm off to go foraging for walnuts, but that'll probably be the last lot off this particular tree.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've a bumper crop of Bramleys this year. I picked a load this arvo to make a big apple crumble. I've already made gingered apple jelly, and after the weekend, I'll be making apple & onion chutney. :hungry: The onions, I found lying in the verge when I was out on the bike.

In a little while, I'm off to go foraging for walnuts, but that'll probably be the last lot off this particular tree.
When I was at school in Helensburgh many years ago there were several walnut trees which we used to raid. I remember one girl getting a telling off because the teacher did not know that they stained your fingers brown. He thought she had been smoking cigarettes.
There are none I know of where II live now.

Well, that's another large wicker basket full of walnuts. :girldance:

The nuts are dropping off the tree now, so don't have to worry about the husks, as they fall off when you pick them up. Had a good look and there's still loads on the tree, far more than I thought, so definitely worthwhile my time going back.

No one else seems to pick them from what I can tell. :wacko:

It's definitely a gloves job @oldwheels - not just because of the husks, but also the nettles...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The weather is kicking off all of a sudden: forecasts are for 10l of water per m², which translates into English measurements are "really rather a lot: have you got a boat"? This on reflection is a more likely reason for the sirens: it's probably going down seriously in the hills.
Jeez my 'back of a fag paper pack' calculation makes that about 4 inches of rain. :eek:

Top Bottom