Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This part of west Worcestershire is known as being still in last century, but we usually still have our decimal points in the same place as the rest of country.

So in metric, one metre by two metres by 5cm equals 0.1 cubic metre.

A large bag of sand is 0.6 cu metres from the local builder's merchant. That is the equivalent of 40 bags of 25kg each. So I need seven 25kg bags.

I have just consumed a late lunch of a sandwhich

Just shows how errors creep in converting imperial to metric. You’ve added a 21% error there, since a metre is 11.1% longer than a yard and you’ve multiplied them together.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Just shows how errors creep in converting imperial to metric. You’ve added a 21% error there, since a metre is 11.1% longer than a yard and you’ve multiplied them together.

My apologies. ^_^ The man at the desk at the Builders' Yard Metre :scratch:wanted to work in metric. I could not work out what a yard is in metric, and assumed that multiplying 1 by 2 by 0.05 would be easier than 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.05. Any excess sand will be used when I want to add grittiness to the clay (very heavy clay) soil.

I will re calculate it using a piece of paper and a pencil rather than in my head. The less sand to lift into my car, and lift out again the better.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
My apologies. ^_^ The man at the desk at the Builders' Yard Metre :scratch:wanted work in metric. I could not work out what a yard is in metric, and assumed that multiplying 1 by 2 by 0.05 would be easier than 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.05. Any excess sand will be used when I want to add grittiness to the clay (very heavy clay) soil.

I will re calculate it using a piece of paper and a pencil rather than in my head. The less sand to lift into my car, and lift out again the better.

Six bags as you describe, should do it.

I thought you would be okay with measurements. The depth of a brick refers to a building brick in the adjacent wall. By and large, I cannot see a correlation between the inclination of the ground and the cost of the sand. ^_^

May I rephrase my question? How much does three cubic feet of sand weigh?

Not me: I became a cabinet maker because I thought it would mean creating nice shiny things out of wood. I was most miffed when they started telling me to to maths.

Besides, Imperial measurements are a complete mystery to me, apart from feet and inches.

My grandson wanted to see Grampy so my wife brought him back with her . I wanted him to test out his electric pedal car anyway .
It worked once we found that it wasn't switched on ! He liked the way that it goes when you press the red pedal . Not sure if he's figured that out yet . He hasn't got the idea of steering yet . He almost ran Grampy over! :ohmy: I jumped out of the way . He crashed a couple of times. It was a good job it was in slow mode as it was plenty fast enough . He twiddled with the knobs and liked the engine sounds . We also discovered that the headlights work , not sure if they come on with the music like disco lights .
Now we need to teach him how to steer .
I'm happy that the car is now working after its spell in a brook .

The world is a much better place after an hour and a half exploring local gravel trails with Max the MTB. Still a few tweaks required to the set-up (the FD needs lowering, as the chain rubs on the cage when it's on the granny ring) and the saddle slipped gradually lower during the ride.That was bloody hard work! Riding with the saddle too low, that is... And I couldn't change it, as it's a spanner job, not an allen key one. :blush:

Bike handles fabulously on gravel, it's a bit more of a drag on the road, but that's easily rectified by upping the pressure in the tyres a bit.

I'll be as fit as a butcher's dog if I keep up with riding this bike all winter. I'm cream crackered!

Oh, and I scrumped some quince pears on my way around. :blush: One is earmarked for tonight's apple crumble, likely I'll be making membrillo with the others, to go with the wedge of Manchego cheese I've got in the fridge. :hungry:

Post-ride :cuppa: and choccy chip suggestive really hits the spot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, what a gorgeous pair of boys! :wub:

Please do give them head rubs and chin tickles from me please. :smile:

Doesn't @DCLane need a chin tickle too - he's feeling poorly. :rolleyes:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nope, a portion of chicken soup (aka Jewish Penicillin) is probably a better option. Trebuchet is armed and loaded. :smile:

Given I had to make dinner and then attempt - and fail - to fit the crankset to the new NeilPryde I need a break. And a bath.

Nice thought about the chicken soup though. Much appreciated. Jewish Penicillin ... I've learnt something today :wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom