Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's raining rather heavily :rain:

On the basis I may need it someday, I'm translating my certificates into English.

This is pretty mundane.

It is surprising how often I find a German word that I understand and use every day but can't translate.

I’d offer to help, but as my only German comes from the old Commando War Comics back when I was a kid...

Unless you need a translation for “Achtung! Achtung! Englander pigdog!” I wouldn’t be much help. :blush:

Okay, language question: There are some job titles you can only use oif you are qualified. What are these called in English; "Professional titles"? that sounds a bit highfalutin' and academic.

I have a certificate saying I have permission to call myself a cabinet maker and permission to call myself an occupational therapist (sort of) what would those be called?

Last edited:
We are shrouded in fog here !

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Okay, language question: There are some job titles you can only use oif you are qualified. What are these called in English; "Professional titles"? that sounds a bit highfalutin' and academic.

I have a certificate saying I have permission to call myself a cabinet maker and permission to call myself an occupational therapist (sort of) what would those be called?
I think we would simply call them qualifications - the right to use the associated titles comes along with them.

Speicher

Vice Admiral

I think we would simply call them qualifications - the right to use the associated titles comes along with them.

@fossyant might know because he has a Professional Title. ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Not exactly @deptfordmarmoset

A qualification is those similar to GCSE / O-level / BTEC / A-level / HNC / HND / Degree / Master's / PhD or similar issued by an exam board or university / college.

A professional qualification is one usually issued by a professional body rather than an examining board or university and is specifically aimed at a career area; i.e. mine include a marketing qualification from the Chartered Institute of Marketing.

You've then got 'protected titles' so an Occupational Therapist is one. SWMBO is a Registered Dietitian and Registered Nutritionist, both of which are specific titles, i.e. no-one can call themselves that unless they've been approved.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bought 2 laptops with money saved from not eating out, etc. One today, one next week because of issues. I had to stand in a line to get in the store, as we are back in 3rd level precautions. Then I was asked what department, and had to wait for a department person to come and get me. I was going to go to the restaurant next door, (You eat in a big tent), but went home and started pruning my cherry tree instead. I have now finished lunch. That is the news from the Midwest. As far as I know, I have had the most interesting morning of anyone here. I also bought a new shirt and some pants, not second hand.
And is today meeting those same high marks so far?

Top Bottom