Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well I am awake so might as well go and catch some miles whilst I can

Morning .
I was so interested in watching the news I almost forgot to put the recycling bins out ! :ohmy:. They were ready to go , I just had to move them out to the front of our house .
I went out for a ride yesterday evening on my Record Ace . On the way up a lane I stopped to pick some Damsons . There weren't many there ! :ohmy: I don't think they had been picked , I just think that it hadn't produced many this year .

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I went in to our greenhouses to water the tomatoes and pick some of the ripe ones . I hate plastic pots ! There's no weight to them so the plants have fainted ! :angry: I propped the plants back up . When I washed my hands the soap turned green .
It is nice and sunny here . I might take my Raleigh out for a ride later .

They do have the advantage that the plants don't dry out as quickly.

My ride yesterday has created a few puzzles ! I know that I hadn't set my bike up properly , I had just swapped the saddle and post straight from one bike to the other. The Holdsworth felt much better position wise than my Record Ace despite the frame being small . It is a 21" as opposed to 23.5" which is my optimum size . :wacko: So that was a plus for the Holdsworth . The negative bit is that the gearing felt much lower on the Record Ace despite the gearing being the same . The wheels are the same as I swapped them from one bike to the other .
The riding position of the Holdsworth felt spot on straight from the off . The Record Ace needs the saddle moving forward as I couldn't get comfy on the bars . :wacko:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Another nice slightly autumnal morning.
Temp was 10C when I went out at 7 o'clock so long trousers and full finger light gloves.
The birds I saw the other day were not swallows but definitely martins. They were feeding above a herd of cattle who presumably attract lots of insects. Did see one solitary swallow further up the road where I have seen one before and heard what sounded like grouse but seems unlikely.
Got a nice spot slightly off the road where I can observe fish rising and a few geese but out of the slight wind midges are starting.
The campsite is rammed with tents and some rooftop car tents all jammed together. I prefer the club sites where there is a defined clear space between outfits.
My grape vine is desperately needing attention but I cannot work in the greenhouse as it is just too hot. Runners are running amok and a lot of leaves need to come off to allow the grapes to get some sun.
The Spar lorry could not get on a ferry yesterday because the one it was booked on was cancelled and so booked cars were taken on but no room for a perishable food lorry.
Today and tomorrow there are warnings of disruption at short notice due to crew shortages caused by covid. The Fishnish/Lochaline ferry is doing a shuttle service but reports are that the mainland single track road is crammed and Corran ferry queues will be enormous.

Last edited:
Another nice slightly autumnal morning.
Temp was 10C when I went out at 7 o'clock so long trousers and full finger light gloves.
The birds I saw the other day were not swallows but definitely martins. They were feeding above a herd of cattle who presumably attract lots of insects. Did see one solitary swallow further up the road where I have seen one before and heard what sounded like grouse but seems unlikely.
Got a nice spot slightly off the road where I can observe fish rising and a few geese but out of the slight wind midges are starting.
The campsite is rammed with tents and some rooftop car tents all jammed together. I prefer the club sites where there is a defined clear space between outfits.
My grape vine is desperately needing attention but I cannot work in the greenhouse as it is just too hot. Runners are running amok and a lot of leaves need to come off to allow the grapes to get some sun.
The Spar lorry could not get on a ferry yesterday because the one it was booked on was cancelled and so booked cars were taken on but no room for a perishable food lorry.
Today and tomorrow there are warnings of disruption at short notice due to crew shortages caused by covid. The Fishnish/Lochaline ferry is doing a shuttle service but reports are that the mainland single track road is crammed and Corran ferry queues will be enormous.
Only just realised where you live .....lucky, lucky person !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Only just realised where you live .....lucky, lucky person !
Lucky in some respects but unlucky in residing in what has become a tourist hotspot. Ferry travel for a day trip off is impossible and the reason I am out at 7 o'clock is that is the only time the roads are reasonable for my trike. Parking is a nightmare in the main part of the town and shopping is avoided as long as possible but only possible before 9 o'clock in the morning.
We have also started to get tourists parking in our residents spaces in the upper town.
I could go on but will refrain now. I now detest tourists.

Top Bottom