Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
...... The Spar lorry could not get on a ferry yesterday because the one it was booked on was cancelled and so booked cars were taken on but no room for a perishable food lorry.......
Funny that recent reports about lack of haulage drivers and food shortages are all over the news yet they allow people to go on holiday rather than feed people!
I was at the supermarket yesterday and there were some gaps on the shelves but amazingly the fizzy pop and cake/ biscuit aisle were unaffected!
During WW2 (well before my time) there were horrendous food and labour shortages, far worse than today, but with government intervention we managed ok. So today we could similarly organise all drivers to deliver essential goods only and food deliveries will always take priority over tourists! Oh I know it would be a pain for the fizzy drinks and junk food industries but a boon for healthy eating and, of course, the added bonus of keeping the Islands free from tourists ^_^

Cool and overcast here chez Casa Reynard.

I am having a plumpitty day, although I have made a start on a new piece of artwork.

Will be raising a :cuppa: in honour of Derek Warwick later, as it's his birthday.

But first, luncheon...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Funny that recent reports about lack of haulage drivers and food shortages are all over the news yet they allow people to go on holiday rather than feed people!
I was at the supermarket yesterday and there were some gaps on the shelves but amazingly the fizzy pop and cake/ biscuit aisle were unaffected!
During WW2 (well before my time) there were horrendous food and labour shortages, far worse than today, but with government intervention we managed ok. So today we could similarly organise all drivers to deliver essential goods only and food deliveries will always take priority over tourists! Oh I know it would be a pain for the fizzy drinks and junk food industries but a boon for healthy eating and, of course, the added bonus of keeping the Islands free from tourists ^_^
Calmac is now run I think by remote management who impose rules regardless of common sense. The large ferry was out of action all day due to a crew member having a positive covid test and contacts had to isolate so they had not enough crew to run the boat.
The lorry driver also had a problem in that his tachograph would not allow him to do extra hours on the road. Don't know what happened there.
I lived through the war years but my father ran a market garden so we always had plenty veg and exotica like figs and peaches. Living in the country we also had some hens and rabbits could be caught as well as [say it quietly] game birds.

Spent the afternoon unpicking some writing I wasn't happy with.

Time for a break. This calls for a :cuppa: and two jaffa cakes.

Calmac is now run I think by remote management who impose rules regardless of common sense. The large ferry was out of action all day due to a crew member having a positive covid test and contacts had to isolate so they had not enough crew to run the boat.
The lorry driver also had a problem in that his tachograph would not allow him to do extra hours on the road. Don't know what happened there.
I lived through the war years but my father ran a market garden so we always had plenty veg and exotica like figs and peaches. Living in the country we also had some hens and rabbits could be caught as well as [say it quietly] game birds.
I've got no grouse with that .

pawl

Legendary Member

We can allow high paid footballers into the country but not foreign nationals who drive the lorries and plck onthe vegetables from the fields I know which one is more important in my humble opinion and it ain’t the footballers

Top Bottom