Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder what the hire company said when the lorry returned minus the back ? :whistle:

I was thinking about the lorry situation and how council's are stupid in blocking off lanes ! We have another bridge which some lorries mistakenly take . There used to be 2 lanes which a lorry could use to escape , but no the wise council has blocked them both off.
Can you imagine the difficulty a big artic would have trying to reverse round a bend and then go up and down a hill before being able to turn round . :ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A lot of Japanese railway bridges have a height limit bar over the road a few metres before the bridge, like those you get on car parks, except these are made of massive 'H' girders with 45° braces so any truck hitting them will have its top sliced off before reaching the bridge itself.
They could do with that at Connel Bridge near Oban. It is clearly signed as 4.2metres several times before the bridge but lorries still keep getting jammed and closing the bridge for hours. The diversion in my case is only about 80 miles.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was thinking about the lorry situation and how council's are stupid in blocking off lanes ! We have another bridge which some lorries mistakenly take . There used to be 2 lanes which a lorry could use to escape , but no the wise council has blocked them both off.
Can you imagine the difficulty a big artic would have trying to reverse round a bend and then go up and down a hill before being able to turn round . :ohmy:
As Andy says below a learning effect. One of our drivers took a load of empty casks going to Paisley on a shortcut through the Clyde Tunnel tho' he knew that was not allowed. The police got him threequarters of the way through and made him reverse the whole way back. Being a good patter merchant he got off with a stern warning but he would not do that again.:ohmy:

pawl

Legendary Member
It's been a day of going around the East Midlands;

- Emptied son no. 2's bedroom ready for painting, plus some shopping before heading to Newark where I collected 4 bikes I'd won via eBay.
- Then to Lincoln to visit son no. 1 with his new glasses.
- Then to Scunthorpe for track racing, where I also donated off 3 of the bikes leaving me with the one I originally wanted in the first place (it was a 'buy all 4' auction)

Can you guess which bike I wanted to keep? :okay:

View attachment 606388

The little pink one 😍😍😍

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thick fog. Not taking the trike out in this as just too dangerous.
Looking at the webcam at Craignure the big ferry has come in but is hardly visible from a few hundred yards away. Lochaline ferry is cancelled until things improve. This is changeover day for the holiday houses so chaos again.
One ferry somewhere is being taken out of service for repair so more chaos next week as we are getting a smaller one than usual.
I do go on about ferries but they are a large part of our existence here.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

No you don't..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just stopped at Rhyl Harbour Hub Coffee Shop whilst on a ride.

The Herety has already attracted the attention of Rhos on Sea Cycling Club.

Stands out a bit from boring carbon and grey components.

And another bloke said 'thats very clean'. Chrome and polished alloy does show up in the sunshine though.

Top Bottom